Sign in with
Your question

2.5 year old mobo is dead, replacement?

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2009 12:52:48 AM

My computer won't complete POST after being off for 3 days. No beeps at all, just silence and the sound of the fans. I tried unplugging everything from the mobo and replacing the power supply with no results. I'm thinking the mobo is shot now. So my question is what do I replace it with?

The specs:

Mobo
ASUS P5B-E LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

RAM
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

Hard drive x2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Case
COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GPU
eVGA e-GeForce 8600GT

Power supply
Thermaltake Purepower 430W

DVD
some Sony dual layer DVD +/-RW drive

With the exception of a power supply, GPU and DVD drive this computer was working fine for 2.5 years.
October 20, 2009 1:09:52 AM

I would be inclined to just replace the mobo and not do a complete upgrade. Get a replacement mobo with a P43/45 northbridge, brand of your choice, and you can easily get your rig up and running for under $100. Unless you were looking for an excuse to upgrade of course.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2009 1:18:04 AM

Also, did the CMOS battery die?
Related resources
October 20, 2009 1:32:10 AM

The CMOS battery is registering 3.057 volts.

I am not looking for an excuse to upgrade, I just need to get it up and running again, fast.
October 20, 2009 1:42:11 AM

Then an Intel board with a P43 north bridge is a great replacement. Saw plenty on New Egg for around $80.
October 23, 2009 4:24:55 PM

I replaced the motherboard with a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L. It ran for five minutes and then I turned it off to put the case back together and when I started it a second time, the power supply blew. Not knowing what was wrong, I returned both power supply and motherboard back to the store. Customer server tried to give me an open box for another power supply, but I insisted they test it first, which I am glad I did because that one blew out on the customer service rep right in front of me!

Anyways, my computer runs only under Ubuntu now. Windows XP won't boot at all. What I get is a black screen and a cursor. Booting from the Windows XP install CD gives me a BSOD saying that I should unshadow or uncache memory in the BIOS or something like that? Has this happened to anyone else before? What should I change in the BIOS?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2009 8:01:38 PM

Its a feature to store the info of the BIOS in the RAM so that OS's don't have to actually look at the real BIOS (which is slower). Look for an option that does say stuff about shadowing the RAM. I've only seen an explicit option once, and it didn't cause problems to the XP on that machine.
!