Sign in with
Your question

Missing or corrupt vgaoem.fon on acer netbook

Last response: in Windows XP
April 8, 2012 4:49:58 PM

Windows will not load on my netbook. I get an error message saying the following file is missing: WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon. I have an acer netbook which does not have any optical drives. I am not able to use a windows cd to do a repair. I do have access to another pc and have taken the drive out of my netbook and can access it by plugging it into a drive caddy. Files are viewable and the drive is good. How can I just replace the missing file using this setup.
April 8, 2012 6:29:51 PM

alley90292 said:
Windows will not load on my netbook. I get an error message saying the following file is missing: WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon. I have an acer netbook which does not have any optical drives. I am not able to use a windows cd to do a repair. I do have access to another pc and have taken the drive out of my netbook and can access it by plugging it into a drive caddy. Files are viewable and the drive is good. How can I just replace the missing file using this setup.

The file has to be expanded from CD i386 to \windows\system folder of your hard drive that you now have in another computer.

Eg: \"expand d:\\i386\\vgaoem.fo_ ?:\\windows\\system\

(where ? is drive letter of your drive caddy disk)

ps: there may also be an I386 folder on that hard drive !
m
l
April 8, 2012 10:08:12 PM

ksiemb said:
The file has to be expanded from CD i386 to \windows\system folder of your hard drive that you now have in another computer.

Eg: \"expand d:\\i386\\vgaoem.fo_ ?:\\windows\\system\

(where ? is drive letter of your drive caddy disk)

ps: there may also be an I386 folder on that hard drive !

Firstly - thanks for the reply. I ran the above command using d: but received a message - can't open input file. Same result using c:

There is an i386 folder on g: (which is the drive I need to repair). I ran the command using g: with the message received;

expanding g:\\i386\\vgaoem.fo_ to g:\\windows\system\vgaoem.fo_.
g:\\i386\\vgaoem.fo_: 2437 bytes expanded to 5168 bytes. 112% increase.

I thought woo hoo! Success. I put the drive back in the netbook and I still get the same error message.
I checked the Windows\\system folder and it now has a file named vgaoem.fo_ but there still isn't a file named vgaoem.fon

Did I do something wrong or is there something else I need to do?
m
l
!