Synthetic vs Application Benchmarking?

G

There's a lot of talk on here about synthetic and application benchmarks... what's the difference? Which is better?

Thanks!

There's a lot of talk on here about synthetic and application benchmarks... what's the difference? Which is better?

Thanks!

Difference between applications and synthetics benckmarks is:

Application brench is the real program running.

Synthetics, Well they very.

Some of them take a suit of programs (like say word, excel, Adobe shop, ect.) and that runs them within the synthetic program and then calculates a total score(s).

Others just run there own benching system that show numbers. Normally the higher the numbers the better.

In my personal option, application benches are better as they can give you a better feel of the system than Synthetics.

Like for example, if i was wanting to compare 2 cpus (lets take core i7 920 and core i7 975) and i need some bench to see how well program (s) might run.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=47&p2=99

Well i could use SysMark 2007. Which tells me the Core i7 975 is the great and you should skip the 920.

Although what if i was just wanting to game?

You'll find there little difference between 920 and 975 in games like crysis.

So in the end i would save money on the the cheaper 920 and have nearly the same performance.

G

Thanks!

Thank you, that's really useful :)