At what CPU temp should I get worried?

bvideo1

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I built a system with the following config. The case has 3 fans in it and I bought a CPU cooler that came highly recommended. My BIOS Hardware monitor shows my CPU at 97-99 F. Wondering if I can get input on what is a safe temperature.

- ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MOBO
- i7 920 Proc
-Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB drive
-NZXT Lexa S case
-ATI Radeon 5770 HD
-OCZ Gold 12 GB mem
-Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT Rev. C CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 1366)

Any input is appreciated.

Best,
-B

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Well safe temps everyone recommends is 70C and below.

What im guessing what happen of why you got such high temps. The HSF was not installed properly.

What i would recommend doing is Removing the HSF, clean off all the thermal paste on the cpu and HSF (This link may help with what you can use to clean the stuff off http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256153-28-remove-thermal-paste-isopropyl-rubbing-alcohol).

Now get some new thermal paste like "arctic sliver 5" and follow there directions of how to apply it. Just be sure not to add to much or to little.

This should solve the problem. If not then the only other thing i can think of is that the case doesn't have enough ventilation.

bvideo1

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

I should have provided the Celsius as I see that is the convention with CPU temps. So I am at about 37.5 C. From what I have read so far this quite safe. Also, I read an article that says that there is wide variation ~ 10C deoending on the binning.

:sweat: Opps. Sorry about that bvideo1 & amdchuck. So used to seeing temps Celsius that i read over the clearly stated F for Fahrenheit.

(most programs and the bios show temps in Celsius than Fahrenheit)

Now with that out way.

as Jack pointed out, 99f (37 C) is average for the cores.

^ 99F is very cool. It is probably your idle temperature.

It's advisable to keep Core2Quads under 70'C, or 158'F, but Core2Quads won't burn out unless they go well over 80'C, or 176'F.

Of course, I'm talking about the temperature of the "cores" - the temperature of the CPU case will need to be cooler, around 15'C cooler than cores, depending on the cpu.