Sign in with
Your question

First Build Ever, Will This Work?

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2009 1:45:21 AM

(my story, followed by my build pieces)

Ok so I've spent the last week researching high end computers. At first I was going to purchase a maingear pc (the ePhex). Then, I looked at newegg and realized that maingear would be way more expensive.. I've never even installed an optical drive but I'm very excited at the idea of knowing how PC's work on the inside. I looked into SSD drives for use as an OS drive for Win7, seems like a good idea. I figured I could just go for an extreme air cooling alternative to liquid for overclocking (another thing I've never done).. I also found that the D0 stepping of the i7 920 is supposed to overclock better than the C0 and C1 stepping.

I need someones advice. All of my friends are noobs (and I'm not much better) I'm typing this from a computer with a 16gb hard drive and USB 1.0... (LOL) I'm lucky to know a very wealthy woman who I cat sit for. I work at a grocery store... heh. Anyway shes willing to dish out 2,200$. This is the build that I think will work for me... (Note: this is for gaming as well as video editing and activities that involve wearing an eye patch...)

The Build, In Pieces
:nutkick:
Case: Lian Li
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU: Intel Core I7 920 (D0 stepping) 2.66GHz
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Memory: Mushkin 6GB 1600MHz (6-7-6-18)
OS SSD: Patriot Torqx 64GB
HD: WDC 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
GPU: Radeon HD 5870
Optical: Samsung Sata DVD Burner
Monitor: LG 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P LCD
Cable: SYBA 6 Feet DVI-D
Thermal Paste: OCZ Freeze (CPU Cooling)
+ Vista Ultimate 64, Old dell speakers, old ass keyboard, decent optical mouse, stupid smile on my face :D 
(all free)

Totals
Newegg Total: 1,444.33
TigerDirect Total: 679.98
Complete Total: 2,167.61
*Includes 3-day shipping.
I chose TigerDirect over newegg because:
A. they have the D0 stepping 920's (manager confirmed)
B. they dont run out of HD 5870's every other hour
C. they have free shipping!

My Worries:
Will this thing overclock well with that cooling? (case, paste, and heatsink)
Will my motherboard support that many fans (5 in case + 2 on heatsink)?
If I Crossfire my 5870 in the future is the 750w enough?
Do you think I pretty much have EVERYTHING I need listed there?
Also, I do plan on upgrading to Win7 .. as soon as I find it :cool:

Sincere Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, All opinions and suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated. I'm pretty worried about spending this much money with no experience whatsoever. I would hate for these pieces to arrive and not deliver what I think they should.. Or for me to ruin something (like smearing too much thermal paste on the cpu) Anyway, Thanks for reading, I know this was a LONG post... :eek:  (I tried to keep ya goin with the smilies.. I admit it..)

More about : build work

October 20, 2009 1:53:22 AM

Links seem to be broken, but just by looking I would make these changes

Case (yours seems like cooling overkill and I just plain like this one better)
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HSF (better, cheaper)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve

RAM (dominators overpriced)
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop

Also, you could drop the sound card (onboard should suffice), TIM (the Hyper comes with some paste), and I would think you wouldn't need the toolkit either..
October 20, 2009 4:09:07 PM

Ok I fixed the links, and changed some components, its about 50$ cheaper now.
Anonymous
October 20, 2009 4:26:02 PM

tbh i like it alot lol sounds good to me
!