ASUS P5G41T-M LX3 / Q6600 / DDR3 1333 Help Please! :)

jchardingiii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
OK guys, I am running my Q6600 CPU in this asus P5G41T-M LX3 mobo and purchased 8G of DDR3 1333 mhz Ram (2x4G). I have a rosewill 550W power supply and a Nvidia GTX460.

I am under the impression that I have to OC my mobo in order to get my RAM running at 1333 instead of 1066.

If so, what do I need to change in the BIOS to do so?

I am a noob at all this and would appreciate any help I can get.

Also, I'm thinking about getting a new power supply. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can give me.

Regards,

Jack

:sol:

Solution
I'm new to to the overclocking game, but I have been playing with my ram speeds as part of my experiments with overclocking my locked CPU, so I may be able to help.

I have patriot ram that sells as 1333 but boots as 1066. The specs say it's designed to run at 1333 with 9-9-9-24 timings and 1.65 volts, but it boots at 1066 with 7-7-7-21 and 1.5 volts.

Check the specs for the ram you have. I bet your motherboard is running the ram with latency timings that are different (faster) than the 1333 specs for your ram.

If you just want to increase the (clock) speed of your ram, there should be a multiplier that you can adjust under the ram settings. However, you may need to change the timings and maybe even the voltage in the ram settings...

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I'm not familiar with that MB but there should be a BIOS setting to change the memory speed. Download CPUz. It runs in Windows and gives you lots of info about CPU and memory speeds. I have a Gigabyte P35 MB with a B3 Q6600 and I can OC the CPU and memory independantly of each other. Good luck.

jchardingiii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Thank you very much. I will check out CPUz immediately. As for overclocking. There is an option in the BIOS to manually set the CPU speed and it says it will automatically adjust the other settings accordingly. Do you think that would be a legit way of doing so? If so, what should I try my Q6600 at. It runs at or below 25 degrees usually.

Thanks Again!!

Jack

:sol:

ipelomada

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I want to know also how.. I have the same Mobo + Proce + RAM. :)
but only have GT220 VC and 700w FSP Epsilon PSU.

anybody have the settings for OC'ing the Proce to 3.0? Thanks.

jchardingiii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Ok guys. At this point I have replaced every component except for my processor and I am still getting random freezes where the display locks up on the screen and I can't move the mouse or keyboard and have to manually power down with the power button. I replaced the RAM and am now running Kingston hyperx 1600 at 1067. I downloaded the qualified vendor list for ram from the asus support website, and this ram isn't listed. In fact, the list is really short, and there is only one model listed for Kingston 4 gb sticks. How important is using RAM that is on the QVL, and do you think my freezing issues are somehow being cause by a RAM compatability issue? I would happily order two sticks of the other RAM if y'all think that will fix it. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Jack

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I'm new to to the overclocking game, but I have been playing with my ram speeds as part of my experiments with overclocking my locked CPU, so I may be able to help.

I have patriot ram that sells as 1333 but boots as 1066. The specs say it's designed to run at 1333 with 9-9-9-24 timings and 1.65 volts, but it boots at 1066 with 7-7-7-21 and 1.5 volts.

Check the specs for the ram you have. I bet your motherboard is running the ram with latency timings that are different (faster) than the 1333 specs for your ram.

If you just want to increase the (clock) speed of your ram, there should be a multiplier that you can adjust under the ram settings. However, you may need to change the timings and maybe even the voltage in the ram settings too.

I haven't tried it, but I would expect problems if I just bumped the ram multiplier and left my timings at 7-7-7-21. (Because my ram can't do 1333 with latency numbers that low)

Solution