How to setup an SSD and HDD Together

pwange04

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
This is my first computer build, and although I have worked with partitions, etc. before, I am not sure how I want to set this up. I have a Gigabyte z68 motherboard, a Crucial m4 128gb ssd, and a spinpointf3 7200 rpm 1tb hd. I am aiming to run my Win 7, and all/most programs (ex. Avira, MS Office) on the SSD to speed up my system. Advice on how to set this up both physically, and in the software would be greatly appreciated. I am not very educated on this, and step by step help would be perfect.

Also, The z68 has ssd caching, and although I think using 2 different drives would be best, any opinions could help.

Thanks in advance :D !

Install the OS and frequently used programs on the SSD (do not connect the 1 TB drive while doing this).

After all the programs you want installed on the SSD is installed, connect the 1 TB drive.

Continue with the installation of the additional programs. During each program install it will ask you on which folder (and drive) you want the program installed. Select the 1 TB drive and install.

That was a joke someone started regarding "downloading RAM"

No, RAM cannot be downloaded. If you want to add RAM and your motherboard has empty slots, you can purchase compatible matching RAM modules and install them in the open slots.

pwange04

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Thank you very much. How should I erase everything on my 1tb HDD (like the OS, and a couple of other unwanted things) so I can use it in conjunction with the SSD.

After all the programs you want installed on the SSD is installed, make a backup of this OS drive. After you make the backup, connect the 1 TB drive to the computer as an internal drive. In the BIOS, make sure you activate the SATA port that this 1 TB drive is connected to.

Now select the 1 TB drive and delete the stuff that you do not need. Reboot the computer. At this point it might be a good idea to defragment the 1 TB drive. After defrag, re-boot once again.

Now make a complete backup of the system even though you did this earlier. Make a rescue disk too. Win 7 Control Panel, Backup & Restore will guide you through this process.

Another free backup program is "EASEUS TODO BACKUP" - simple to use.

Good luck!

IXTryHardXI

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
If I already have a HDD with everything on it and I want to buy a SSD just for pc games would I be able to download and run games off of the SSD without complications?

pwange04

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Yes I use my hdd now for data, so I think that its the same concept. When you plug the drive in, your pc should recognize it and name it. Just remember this name when you are installing your games.

Kenize

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
i have just put together a computer of my own with both an SSD and a hard drive. i installed windows and all my other crucial files onto my SSD and now i would like to get the hard drive running to install all my other programs. it is all plugged in on the inside and my computer has recognised it in the device manager but it doesnt show up in the "computer" window. have i done something wrong or missed a step?

-kenzie

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

well, i had this issue a couple days ago. It's most likely because the hardrive is not partitioned yet because it is new. If you're using windows 7 and click on start and search for computer management once opened, goto click on disk management in in the left column it will show you all the drives that are plugged in. Select the new drive, right click and create a new partition, preferbly NTFS filing system once thats done it will show up in y computer.

Hope this works
Tim