Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x4 965 Black

Last response: in Overclocking
February 9, 2012 9:30:52 PM

I'v never really thought about over clocking to often but I decided to take a look into it. I wanted to make sure I get a few more years out of my processor and that it is more then enough for the games to come. Currently running stock 3.4Ghz @ 1.392 V and the temperatures reach 67 Celsius under full load. I'm beginning to wonder if i have a faulty sensor.

More about : phenom 965 black

February 9, 2012 10:07:50 PM

67c is to hot get a Hyper 212+ $30 and OC that bizaach to 3.8ghz - 4ghz
February 10, 2012 12:29:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have thought about it but i am trying to figure out why it runs so hot. I see everyone else saying 55 - 60c even with stock cooling and voltage. I'm seeing the TJ.MAX temp in CPU-Z 79c. I am curious though if a new heatsink/fan and thermal compound will change it at all. If what I read is correct it may drop my temps down to 59 - 60c.

Related resources
February 10, 2012 12:37:39 AM

Endevours said:
Thanks for the reply. I have thought about it but i am trying to figure out why it runs so hot. I see everyone else saying 55 - 60c even with stock cooling and voltage. I'm seeing the TJ.MAX temp in CPU-Z 79c. I am curious though if a new heatsink/fan and thermal compound will change it at all. If what I read is correct it may drop my temps down to 59 - 60c.

I run the same Chip as you well the Phenom II x4 955 OCed @ 3.8ghz so it is running a bit faster than yours and with the hyper 212+ I am seeing 43c max temps when gaming and around 33c on the desktop doing average tasks. What case do you have that could be the Culprit as well how is your cable management ?
February 10, 2012 12:45:52 AM

PaperBoy said:
I run the same Chip as you well the Phenom II x4 955 OCed @ 3.8ghz so it is running a bit faster than yours and with the hyper 212+ I am seeing 43c max temps when gaming and around 33c on the desktop doing average tasks. What case do you have that could be the Culprit as well how is your cable management ?

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I have been using zip ties to hide cables and tie them down. They are not interrupting airflow as far as i can tell/feel. I have not checked max temps when gaming, i know they will be lower then in prime 95 (which is what i have been using)

I have overclocked it to 3.8 Ghz stable but it requires 1.5v and leaves temps way to high 77c.
Currently running:
3.6 Ghz @ 1.392v (Temps staying the same as 3.4Ghz)
NB Freq 2.2Ghz @ 1.1v
DDR3 1333 @ 669mhz (1.5v)

February 10, 2012 1:08:21 AM

Endevours said:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I have been using zip ties to hide cables and tie them down. They are not interrupting airflow as far as i can tell/feel. I have not checked max temps when gaming, i know they will be lower then in prime 95 (which is what i have been using)

I have overclocked it to 3.8 Ghz stable but it requires 1.5v and leaves temps way to high 77c.
Currently running:
3.6 Ghz @ 1.392v (Temps staying the same as 3.4Ghz)
NB Freq 2.2Ghz @ 1.1v
DDR3 1333 @ 669mhz (1.5v)

To tell you the truth 3.6ghz is what I normally always run my chip @ as well cause it seems performance doesn't really get better after 3.6ghz and temps go up anyway but 3.8ghz is the absolute max if and when I want to flex my E Nut's which is not often case I should get the old prostate checked on the Phenom II 955 cause it's gettin on in years LOL. Your case so long as it is clean and free of clutter will provide ample airflow but what cooler are you on did you say ?
February 10, 2012 4:04:45 PM

Well iv had it almost 3 years. Im just gonna leave everything on auto an let my mobo take care of it. I'm not extremely worried as I can buy a new CPU/mobo if needed but I prefer to wait till I see what ivy bridge has to offer. Even then I'll wait it out. I just thought it runs really hot on stock votage at stock clocks with the stock heatsink/fan.

Sorry for any mistakes I'm trying to use the forum on my iPhome. No app for it?
a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2012 6:28:43 PM

Endevours said:
Well iv had it almost 3 years. Im just gonna leave everything on auto an let my mobo take care of it. I'm not extremely worried as I can buy a new CPU/mobo if needed but I prefer to wait till I see what ivy bridge has to offer. Even then I'll wait it out. I just thought it runs really hot on stock votage at stock clocks with the stock heatsink/fan.

Sorry for any mistakes I'm trying to use the forum on my iPhome. No app for it?

That's most likely your problem. Using 'Auto' settings in the BIOS may easily over-volt your processor (especially on Gigabyte motherboards).

Set your Vcore and NB volts to 1.35v and 1.2v, respectfully --- watch your temps drop like a rock.
February 11, 2012 2:06:33 AM

Wisecracker said:
That's most likely your problem. Using 'Auto' settings in the BIOS may easily over-volt your processor (especially on Gigabyte motherboards).

Set your Vcore and NB volts to 1.35v and 1.2v, respectfully --- watch your temps drop like a rock.

My default Vcore on this is 1.4v and the NB defaults to 1.1v. Now I have always manually edited and changed my settings never leaving them on auto. I decided to leave it on auto to test stability, it failed. Since then i have changed everything to manual and manually set every possible setting in my bios relating to CPU, HT, NB, and RAM. I set Vcore to 1.375 @ 3.4Ghz, currently running Small FFTs stable at 59c Max. My MA770T-UD3P Motherboard supports a North Bridge Frequency at 2.6Ghz I have not tried to test it.

One question though that I do not understand, How can something that is under-volted work at 100% load and fail 3 hours later? I would think it should fail almost instantly, put one double A battery in a flash light that needs two and it doesn't even turn on. I'm missing something.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2012 1:35:27 PM

You're not missing anything. It ain't magic I made the connection between high temps, over-volting and Gigabyte motherboards. Or . . . . is it?? :lol:  You have a fine motherboard and it should suit your needs well for a good many more years.

Here are the PhII 965 C2 & C3 specs. I suspect you have a C2 because of the age of your CPU.

Sometimes, less is more, and that's the case with voltage on a Deneb PhII (especially a C2). A 0.0125v drop in volts potentially drops temps nicely while also adding a bit of headroom to your clock speed if so desired. Certainly this is the case when combined with a Gigabyte motherboard that tends to over-volt, anyway.

Understanding that longevity is a primary goal for you, here is what I would recommend: Drop your vcore -0.0375v or -0.05v (and maybe even more if you want to leave it at 'stock'). I've run -0.125v (you read that right) at 100% load for weeks at a time encoding video on a GB board and PhII.

Because your motherboard 'defaults' to a certain CPU voltage that doesn't necessarily mean the voltage is your CPU 'stock' or what is necessary for sweet operation. General rule of thumb for AMD Deneb PhenomII quads is 'stock' CPU vcore is around 1.325v. Keep playing around with it - I think you will be pleasantly surprised where you may take your temps (down) and performance (up).

If you wish to see what your processor is truly capable of we can start by raising the system clock to its sweet spot 250MHz. Post up a picture of your girl friend if you want to do this. :whistle: 

And from time to time it would be advisable to simply reset your CMOS -- make note of important BIOS settings before doing so (boot sequence & HDD setup!). If your mobo has the GB DualBIOS, be sure that your backup BIOS is the same as your main BIOS.

There are a bunch of reasons a test might fail. Are you running 4 sticks of RAM?

February 11, 2012 2:15:32 PM

My Vcore is now at 1.325 with 3.4GHz clock. I ran a Prime 95 Blend test for 9 hours stable with no issues. The temps were 60c last night but since then lowered to 55c over the course of the night. Also I have C3 stepping and i do have 4 sticks of ram.

[http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5461/cpuzram.jpg/" target="_blank">
a c 92 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2012 8:36:19 PM

whoa...67'c..?

there's must be something wrong with your heatsink..

my 1090T oc to 4Ghz 1.464v, never reach more than 55'c with lapped thermaltake frio classic..
February 11, 2012 11:02:20 PM

Quaddro said:
whoa...67'c..?

there's must be something wrong with your heatsink..

my 1090T oc to 4Ghz 1.464v, never reach more than 55'c with lapped thermaltake frio classic..

I'v re-seated it with new thermal compound and cleaned the dust out. That how ever did not effect the high temps. only when I made sure everything was manually set in my bios and undervolted it to 1.325v that it remains under 60c now.
!