Moatherboards compatible with the i7-930?

inmood

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I'm planning on building a new PC in a few weeks, and I've chose most of the parts already; but the only problem I'm having is choosing a motherboard that supports this new processor: the Intel i7-930.

Most motherboard's websites and reader reviews stated that most motherboards with their launch BIOS won't support this particular processor without flashing to to a newer-compatible BIOS firmware.

I don't want to buy the only out-of-the-box compatible board, the Intel DX58SO because I've read its reviews and I'm not satisfied with it.

Can anyone help? This is going to be my first build and I want everything to go as smooth as I can.

My choice of un-compatible motherboards (with pre-installed BIOS/ not after upgrading):
- ASUS P6X58D Premium.
- GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM in an amazing mobo. If you can afford the price, go for it.
To update the bios is a very simple process. Don't worry about that. Buy the more you like. Anyway, You won't have any problem with the i7 930,however it is very convinient to have installed the newer bios because it corrects some issues

inmood

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

That's what I'm asking: What if the motherboard did not recognize the 930 processor right away; what would I do then? I won't be able to flash it.

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
The P6X58D premium is not only simple but handles tweeking very easily, and i know this because i own one... Get it and you'd never be disappointed... Your i7930 cpu is nothing new, and if you do get that board now the bios that comes along with it would handle it right out the box... Your only might need to update the bios if you're planning to use the i7 890x, if not, leave the bios be...
Unless you have a problem or issue, and the new version has a specific fix for your problem, updating your BIOS is useless, and yes many times it will cause more problems than it will fix. I have no idea why there are so many people out there who think just because there is a new version, you need to go get it. Even your board makers site has warnings all over the page. But everyone wants to have that latest BIOS version, as if your BIOS is some kind of driver set or something, it is not. The only change might be they added a new processor to the list of possible processors the board can support, so the board can recognize and "knows" the default auto configuration for a newly released processor, or memory stick. Nothing is changed most usually that affects how your PC works. And when a change is made that does have an effect, it could be a change made to work with a later revision of your board, and can cause more problems than it will solve on previous board revisions.
There are too many people out there who think the first thing you need to do when you have a new motherboard is "update your BIOS!" This is not, many times, the best advice.
Install your components and OS and call it a day....

inmood

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

Thank you very much guys for all of your replies... However my question is simple and straight: Is there's a possibility that any X58 motherboard made with installed firmware/BIOS before the i7-930 came out that won't recognize it? and if yes; what can I do then?

That's it.

No support does not necessarily mean that the cpu won't run. The chip might show up as a 920, or have a maximum multiplier less than it should. You should be able to use your 930 to flash the bios if necessary.

To protect yourself from a unlikely possibility, buy from a vendor with lots of volume and a fair return policy.
High volume decreases the odds that you will get an old motherboard with only the initial bios flash.
A good vendor like newegg will work with you on a return or exchange if they indicated support or were selling a combo. They will even accept a return for almost any reason.

inmood

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

That's the exact answer I was looking for... thanks a lot man.
However I'm currently living in the middle east, and In here; you'd be lucky just to find the exact model you're looking for.
Thanks again.