Watching live TV & recording another

I have a Tivo2 and am using the setup on page 18 of the User Guide so that I
can watch one channel while recording another. I have no cable box. The
connection is from the cable outlet.

When I went to watch the news on 1 channel the Tivo was recording from
another channel and I got a message that if I wanted to watch the news I
would have to cancel the recording.

Why am I getting this message?
9 answers Last reply
More about watching live recording another

    Norm <ntaer@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > I have a Tivo2 and am using the setup on page 18 of the User Guide so that I
    > can watch one channel while recording another. I have no cable box. The
    > connection is from the cable outlet.

    > When I went to watch the news on 1 channel the Tivo was recording from
    > another channel and I got a message that if I wanted to watch the news I
    > would have to cancel the recording.

    > Why am I getting this message?

    You tried to tell the TiVo to change channel. You should have left the TiVo
    alone, recording the other channel and then just changed channel on your TV
    so the TV would be tuned to the news and the TiVo tuned to the other channel.

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:19:31 -0400, usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris)
    wrote:

    >Norm <ntaer@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >> I have a Tivo2 and am using the setup on page 18 of the User Guide so that I
    >> can watch one channel while recording another. I have no cable box. The
    >> connection is from the cable outlet.
    >
    >> When I went to watch the news on 1 channel the Tivo was recording from
    >> another channel and I got a message that if I wanted to watch the news I
    >> would have to cancel the recording.
    >
    >> Why am I getting this message?
    >
    >You tried to tell the TiVo to change channel. You should have left the TiVo
    >alone, recording the other channel and then just changed channel on your TV
    >so the TV would be tuned to the news and the TiVo tuned to the other channel.

    Remember that to do this you have to connect the TV RF input to your
    cable - use a splitter as it says in the manual, and then use the TV
    input selector to switch between the TV and the TIVO. I also have my
    DVD player connected to the third input. Works great. And if I had
    room in my cabinet I could add a VCR!!

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:03:40 +0000, Norm wrote:

    > I have a Tivo2 and am using the setup on page 18 of the User Guide so that I
    > can watch one channel while recording another. I have no cable box. The
    > connection is from the cable outlet.
    >
    > When I went to watch the news on 1 channel the Tivo was recording from
    > another channel and I got a message that if I wanted to watch the news I
    > would have to cancel the recording.
    >
    > Why am I getting this message?

    The SA ( Stand-a-lone ) Tivo has 1 tuner. It's used for 'live tv'
    and / or Recording a show. What you'd want to do ( record one show
    AND watch live TV ) requires 2 tuners. You can do this with a
    Satellite Tivo, but not a SA Tivo.

    With the SA Tivo, you can record one show ( uses your single tuner )
    and WATCH something that you have previously recorded... you can't
    watch something that you are currently recording.

    So... you can record 2 and a half men on monday at 8:30 and
    then you can record CSI:Miami when it comes on at 9:00. While
    recording CSI:Miami, you can watch the pre-recorded 2 and a half
    men, skip the commercials and at 9:20 or so... start watching
    CSI:Miami from the begining... skipping the commercials along
    the way until you catch up to the 'live' part of the show near
    the end.....

    jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

    "Norm" <ntaer@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Tivo2 and am using the setup on page 18 of the User Guide so that
    >I can watch one channel while recording another. I have no cable box. The
    >connection is from the cable outlet.

    Can you watch live TV if you don't have Tivo? Of course. So just split the
    cable input into 2 halves. Send one half to Tivo and the other directly to
    the TV set. Now connect the A/V output of the Tivo to the A/V input of your
    TV set, and you're home free.

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:15:18 GMT, Jack Snodgrass wrote:

    > With the SA Tivo, you can record one show ( uses your single tuner )
    > and WATCH something that you have previously recorded... you can't
    > watch something that you are currently recording.

    You can indeed watch something you are currently recording. You just can't
    watch something else while recording.

    Norm wrote:
    > I have a Tivo2 and am using the setup on page 18 of the User Guide so that I
    > can watch one channel while recording another. I have no cable box. The
    > connection is from the cable outlet.
    >
    > When I went to watch the news on 1 channel the Tivo was recording from
    > another channel and I got a message that if I wanted to watch the news I
    > would have to cancel the recording.
    >
    > Why am I getting this message?

    You overlooked one important step. That is to press the button
    on the TV which tells it to use its own tuner instead of looking
    at the VIDEO-1 input. Once you've done that, you use the
    channel-up and channel-down button on your TV's remote (not the
    TiVo remote) to change channels.

    Provided that you have a splitter installed (as shown in the
    diagram), you'll be able to tune in unscrambled analog cable-TV
    channels without bothering the TiVo.
    -Joe

    In article <0utHe.567$I04.255@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Norm <ntaer@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >I have a Tivo2 and am using the setup on page 18 of the User Guide so that I
    >can watch one channel while recording another. I have no cable box. The
    >connection is from the cable outlet.

    I don't know what that diagram says, but I'm assuming that "the connection
    is from the cable outlet" means that you are using the coaxial connection
    (one cable with a thin wire in the middle sticking out on the connectors)
    rather than the 3 RCA cables (red, white, yellow) to connect from the Tivo to
    the TV. (By the way, using the coaxial connection means that your TV only
    gets a mono signal, not stereo. If you're connecting the audio RCA cables
    to an amplifier instead of using your TV's speakers, you can ignore this.)

    As well as the other suggestions (which are often the best, especially if
    you want to be able to check your Tivo in PIP during commercials of the
    show you watch live -- something I do VERY often), there's another thing you
    can do if you are indeed using the coax connection.

    You can put the Tivo into Standby mode, and then use the TV's tuner to
    watch something else.

    This is a worse choice overall IMHO, but I used it for a while to simplify
    some cabling (and see if splitters were degrading my signal a lot).
    I really wish all devices had what one of my VCRs and my hard drive/DVD
    recorder has -- the ability to make coax out NOT carry the video signal --
    have it always be the cable signal. That way you could very easily
    daisy chain devices, and it would require far less cable/splitters.
    --
    mattack@gmail.com

    > This is a worse choice overall IMHO, but I used it for a while to simplify
    > some cabling (and see if splitters were degrading my signal a lot).
    > I really wish all devices had what one of my VCRs and my hard drive/DVD
    > recorder has -- the ability to make coax out NOT carry the video signal --
    > have it always be the cable signal. That way you could very easily
    > daisy chain devices, and it would require far less cable/splitters.

    I'd love it if the coax out would carry the original cable signal, but
    insert the tivo signal onto one (perhaps user selectable?) channel.
    That way you could feed your incoming cable into the Tivo then route it
    out to the rest of the house and watch the Tivo output on any TV, as
    well as other channels. I'm not sure how difficult that would be to do,
    and it would definitely cut into multiple tivo household sales!

    I know they make devices to do what I just described, but it sure would
    be nice if it was built-in.

    Randy S.

Tivo TV Cable Home Theatre