Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sata socket came off motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
April 12, 2010 3:35:55 PM

my question is can I tape up the contacts and continue to use the board ??
Asus m3a78-cm #6 onboard sata
April 12, 2010 4:18:51 PM

Can you post a photo? That would be helpful... thanks
m
l
April 12, 2010 5:14:44 PM

Well im at work just now .. the red plastic sata that you plug into pulled away from the board leaving the bare contacts that were in the tiny little holes. hope that gives you the pic... i could put electricians tape on it if that works to avoid any accidental contact. I just dont know if the board will still function .. my feelings are that it will. :cry: 
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2010 8:44:43 PM

It would if the pins are still in place... Just manage to put it back together carefully and let your intuition guide you through the rest... Good luck mate...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2010 8:59:11 PM

I had that problem with a Gigabyte Board, Called them up and they fixed it under warranty. If it bothers you that much, give Asus a call, you never know...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2010 9:22:36 PM

yes try to rma it
m
l

Best solution

April 12, 2010 9:24:42 PM

I had the exact same thing happen on a low end MSI motherboard I bought to use with Turion processors (before low watt A64s were available).
It left some scary looking copper pins sticking up off the board, but it never affected the boards operation.
Your idea about the tape might be a good precaution, just make sue that when you do it you don't push the copper tabs into contact with each other.
April 12, 2010 10:47:38 PM

iggybeans said:
I had the exact same thing happen on a low end MSI motherboard I bought to use with Turion processors (before low watt A64s were available).
It left some scary looking copper pins sticking up off the board, but it never affected the boards operation.
Your idea about the tape might be a good precaution, just make sue that when you do it you don't push the copper tabs into contact with each other.

Well actually they are silver in color.. about 6 of them ..
m
l
April 12, 2010 10:50:33 PM

chefboyeb said:
It would if the pins are still in place... Just manage to put it back together carefully and let your intuition guide you through the rest... Good luck mate...

Oh they are all still there standing proud... its just trying to refit that cap over it and getting all the pins inside it ..
m
l
April 12, 2010 10:54:08 PM

well all in all it is still under warrenty
but I was just changing cases when that happened.. so I would be w/o a system for a bit. I dont know If I can stand not gaming that long...lol
m
l
April 12, 2010 11:27:44 PM

Best answer selected by bulldogr.
m
l
!