Coolermaster RC-690 RAID Setup

buildakicker

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hi all,

I have the RC-690 case and have room in there to put a few harddrives as you probably know... I am thinking of setting up a 3 disc RAID 5 system and want to know if it's possible to just do within my case? Would this be a bad idea? Should I go another route? Thanks :)

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
It's a fine idea and your case has plenty of slots. The case isn't your limiting factor, though. What model of motherboard do you use? Most motherboards support RAID5 (0/1/5/10 is pretty common), but check to see if that's actually the case and make sure you've got enough free SATA ports. If your motherboard doesn't support RAID5 then you'll have to get a RAID controller for one of your expansion slots.

Also, if you're using windows you'll be fine, but most flavors of linux don't support hardware RAID.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i would just plug in the drives normally and do a software raid. windows is actually faster at handling the raid then most raid cards/mobos and if something go wrong with your raid controller you can just put the drive in another computer and set that computer up to see it. for windows 7 you need professional or better for the feature. but older windows im not sure.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I'm not really sure what you're suggesting. Software RAID can be faster at times but hardware RAID is typically less of a hassle. The part that's confusing me, though, is that a software RAID wouldn't use a RAID controller, and if you're using a RAID5 then any of the individual drives on their own will be useless (parity is spread over all the drives) so putting the drive in another computer wouldn't work.