Raid windows score

phippsy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
just setup raid 0 on windows 7 and noticed my score is still 5.9 thought it might have changed why is this both hard drives are 1tb and 7200 rpm but different brands

Raid0 only improves Sequencial read writes, which is the least important parameter when it comes to opening an operating system and opening an application. Almost no effect on Random 4K file read/writes which is governed by mostly by access time which is a physical limitation and NO change. Don't get me wrong, Seq are important to randing/writing arge video files, spreadsheets, ad/cad drawing files, and large jpeg photos. Sorry for the bad (discouraging) info.

However, in the overall every day performance raid0 in still so far behind an SSD that WEI is not going to change. You might be able to squezze a 6.0/6.1 if you put 3 in raid0 and short stroked to about 20% of available space.

PS You are not alone, I can not count how many times this issue, My HDD (also raid0 and 1oK drives) only scores 5.9. With SSDs limited to 7.9 and they are 20 -> 40 times faster than even a raid0 HDDs, adding a .04 to 5.9 is still 5.9

Really your call. I use to use Raid0 in all my builds, untill I started getting SSDs for a boot / Program drive. Raid0 does benifit editing / encoding video and Load of large files.
So a lot depends on usage and expectations. For gamers, it will load maps faster, compared to a single HDD.