Sign in with
Your question
Closed

(eMachines ET1331G-03W) would this be a good start for a gaming pc

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2010 12:48:11 AM

eMachines ET1331G-03W comes with AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor 2.7ghz 6gb ram 750gb hard drive
. would this be a good start or should i start from scratch
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2010 12:57:53 AM

start from scratch

the PSU on that probably is some unknown brand and the mobo is also dirt cheap the only good thing is the processor

how much is that costing you? 600-700 USD?
it isn't worth it
for the same 700 USD you can build an awesome phenom II rig with a nice ATI 5000 series gfx card and DDR3 RAM

what is your budget?
Score
January 6, 2010 1:04:25 AM

no its $400 i researched the psu and found them cheap for upgrading the video card .... but for 400 bucks 6gb ram 750gb hard drive ... wouldn't it be worth it to up geade yhe video card and psu instead of building
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2010 2:19:41 AM

Yes, it's okay if u want that machine, but absolutely u must upgrade your PSU and graphic card later if u want some decent gaming... :) 
January 6, 2010 2:52:12 AM

Is that computer a good start for gaming... Absolutely NOT.

Is it decent for the money... eh, sort of.

I am pricing out an AMD X3 build with 4GB of memory and it's coming out to about $450 and that's with good quality parts such as Corsair 550 power supply, Corsair memory, ASUS motherboard, Antec case... etc.
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 6, 2010 8:13:03 AM

Anything with the eMachine name will be a screamer and offer unbeatable future proofing, can handle anything the industry can throw at it for at least 50 years.

Runs away while laughing loudly .......
Score
January 6, 2010 2:34:15 PM

Total Bullshit.
I own the E Machines you speak of
Would you be at all interested to know that the HDD is a 32MB cache unit?
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f6082d0...
That the Athlon IIx2 235e really puts out?
Let them talk this thing down all they want because everyone at this forum to some extent is an affecionado of sorts and will never think an E-Machines is anything more than crap.
With 6 gigs of ram and a 750 GB 32mb cache HDD paired with SATA drivespeed
on top of an Athlon IIx2..
all you need is a better PSU and Videocard and whattaya know, a gaming PC for you that costs well under $700.
My advice is this..grab the PC, buy a thermaltake PSU 550 for $85 an Nvidia GTS 250 for around $125 and pack it all in.
Performance index on my PC sits at 7.1 besides the HDD, which for some reason will only hit 5.9 but they say that's normal.
It is one of the best and cheapest upgradeable PC 's on the market at the moment..
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET...

Go on and build this spec at Cyberpower PC and see how much it comes out to be.

CPU1 : AMD Athlon™ II X2 dual-core processor 235e
(2.7GHz, 2MB L2 cache)
Operating System2 : Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Chipset : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE
Memory3 : 6144MB DDR2 dual-channel (2 × 1024MB + 2 × 2048MB)
Expandable to 8GB
4 DDR2 slots (total), 0 DDR2 slot (available)
Hard Drive4 : 750GB 7200rpm SATA
Optical Drive : 16x DVD±R/RW Supermulti drive
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 5x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Media Reader5 : Multi-in-one digital media card reader
CompactFlash® I & II, CF+ Microdrive, Secure Digital™ (SD) Card, miniSD™ Card, MultiMediaCard™ (MMC), MMCmobile™, MMCmicro™, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard™ (RS-MMC), xD-Picture Card™, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO™, Memory Stick Duo™, Memory Stick PRO Duo™, Memory Stick Micro™
Video : Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 SE graphics
Audio : 8-channel (7.1) high-definition audio
USB Speakers
Communications : 10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Peripherals : eMachines® PS/2 keyboard and optical mouse
Ports/Other : 6 - USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 rear)
2 - PS/2 (keyboard and mouse)
1 - VGA
6 - Audio jacks
1 - Headphone jack
1 - Microphone jack
1 - RJ-45 Ethernet
Dimensions : 14.2" H x 7.1" W x 16.2" D
Weight : 18 lbs. (system unit only)
Warranty6 : 1-year parts and labor limited warranty with toll-free tech support
Software : Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Adobe® Flash® Player
Adobe® Reader®
eMachines® Recovery Management
Google Toolbar™
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 (60-day complimentary trial period)7
Microsoft Works® 9.0
Nero® 9 Essentials
Norton Internet Security™ 20098
WildTangent® demo games
Price : $398.00
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 2:34:00 AM

Yes, u are right guys, e-machines is a crap, it's always better to build from a scratch, me too. Maybe the OP just not too much understand how to build or else and that's why he want build up system...
And i said before, yes it's okay if he want that machine but if he upgrade PSU and video card(more expensive, i know), it would be a good start for gaming...
Score
February 25, 2010 2:49:43 PM

magneezo said:
Total Bullshit.
Would you be at all interested to know that the HDD is a 32MB cache unit?
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f6082d0...
That the Athlon IIx2 235e really puts out?
Let them talk this thing down all they want because everyone at this forum to some extent is an affecionado of sorts and will never think an E-Machines is anything more than crap.
With 6 gigs of ram and a 750 GB 32mb cache HDD paired with SATA drivespeed
on top of an Athlon IIx2..
all you need is a better PSU and Videocard and whattaya know, a gaming PC for you that costs well under $700.
My advice is this..grab the PC, buy a thermaltake PSU 550 for $85 an Nvidia GTS 250 for around $125 and pack it all in.
Performance index on my PC sits at 7.1 besides the HDD, which for some reason will only hit 5.9 but they say that's normal.
It is one of the best and cheapest upgradeable PC 's on the market at the moment..

Agreed. I have a 700W Raidmax Aurora PSU and a double-slot rear fan exhaust Diamond ATI HD4870 512mb card left over from upgrading my wife's computer. Magneezo, I would like to know, the GTS250 you have, is it a long card? Does it have a big ol' fan on it? Did it fit easily in the ET1331G's case? Here is the card I have, you think it'll fit in there?

The power plugs, (2 6-pin, this PSU I have has them) they are the black plugs top right in this picture. Think it'll squeeze in?

I'd love to pick up either a new one ($398) or a refurb from Tiger ($349 at the moment) and rock it. I can give the speakers/kb/mouse to my kids since their mouse is junk and the spacebar on their keyboard has seen too much Kool-Aid.
Score
February 27, 2010 12:28:07 AM

occupant said:
Agreed. I have a 700W Raidmax Aurora PSU and a double-slot rear fan exhaust Diamond ATI HD4870 512mb card left over from upgrading my wife's computer. Magneezo, I would like to know, the GTS250 you have, is it a long card? Does it have a big ol' fan on it? Did it fit easily in the ET1331G's case? Here is the card I have, you think it'll fit in there?

http://i.neoseeker.com/neo_image/160446/article/diamondhd4870/imageaab012_thumb.jpg

The power plugs, (2 6-pin, this PSU I have has them) they are the black plugs top right in this picture. Think it'll squeeze in?

I'd love to pick up either a new one ($398) or a refurb from Tiger ($349 at the moment) and rock it. I can give the speakers/kb/mouse to my kids since their mouse is junk and the spacebar on their keyboard has seen too much Kool-Aid.

It should be alright but you will need to arrange your SATA cables on the board a little differently. I had to take the angled SATA cable tips from both the hard drive and DVD and turn them around so that the angled end went to the board (what I'm saying is just turn the cable around) P.S. red cable is aftermarket for my 2nd DVD drive I added
That was the only thing in the way. Here is a shot of what I'm speaking of:

Notice you have plenty of clearance to go under the HDD cage if needed!

Score
February 27, 2010 1:49:29 AM

That's a beautiful fit! I'll do just that with the SATA cables. And if there's not a flat/angled one in there, I'll find one. And now that I've seen inside the case I know that 700W PSU will fit easily, too. I like the red tape on the power cable, looks real good!
Score
February 27, 2010 2:09:16 AM

occupant said:
That's a beautiful fit! I'll do just that with the SATA cables. And if there's not a flat/angled one in there, I'll find one. And now that I've seen inside the case I know that 700W PSU will fit easily, too. I like the red tape on the power cable, looks real good!

Thanks. Those cables are tough for sure.
You can get the Dynex velcro strips at Best Buy
Score
March 2, 2010 2:03:36 PM

magneezo said:
Total Bullshit.

I'm glad to find someone who owns it. I just bought a refurbished unit and am doing some research about the mobo while I await delivery.

Can you direct me to a page of mobo specs? I've searched the emachine site and without a part number I can't find it at gateway support. I'd like to know memory and cpu upgrade info.

I have an AOpen GeForce 7300LE 256MB PCI Express PCIe DVI/VGA Video Card and 480 watt psu to upgrade with. See any issues with these? I'm not a gamer, but want to make it a better machine.

thanks
Score
March 2, 2010 2:25:21 PM

7300LE wouldn't be much of an improvement over the 6150SE on-board. A 480-watt PSU of unknown brand would be less than ideal.

I've poked around a bit and for $45-$50 one can get a 9500GT 512MB video card and it'll run fine with the stock 300-watt PSU. No extra plugs required. That would be light-years ahead of either the 6150 or 7300 series GPUs.

The motherboard is an ECS brand board. MCP61PM-GM rev 2.2 or something like that. It uses an AMI BIOS dated August 2009. I'm a great fact-checker but I'm not good at applying knowlege. And searches here on Toms and other places come up with nothing. The board is manufactured for OEM purposes so ECS won't have a lot of documentation for it anyway. With a II X2 235e in it now, and other forums reporting it will handle 89W processors and some have had luck with 100W Phenoms like the 9500, I would think a II X4 620-630-635 would NOT be out of the question. Seeing as many II X2 235e's as I do on eBay, I am assuming many users of this machine think the same way.
Score
March 2, 2010 6:24:23 PM

Every little clue helps in my search for answers. ECS site WAS worthless. I was hoping for the mobo part #.

I was trying to save money and use what I already have. Turns out the PSU, while 'new', won't work on this mobo. I got a deal recently on the 7300LE and it DOES have more connectors than just the standard VGA port this computer comes with.

I found this on Ebay - good pics of mobo and specs, but sez it's Asus in one spot and ECS in another:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=20041...

May be putting the cart before the horse, so I'll wait to see what I get - pray that it actually works - then look to upgrade. I'm sure I'll be busy spending time setting it up, making recovery disks, removing crapware, etc.
Score
March 2, 2010 6:34:53 PM

rthawk said:
Every little clue helps in my search for answers. ECS site WAS worthless. I was hoping for the mobo part #.
I found this on Ebay - good pics of mobo and specs, but sez it's Asus in one spot and ECS in another:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=20041....

That's it!
I recognized it immediately.
If you're going to replace the motherboard though, get one without those SATA ports directly behind the PCI-E slot and that has a jumper setting that allows overclocking.
There are better motherboards out there.
If it's an OEM thing that's fine, but if I had the choice I'd look further.
Score
March 2, 2010 6:35:04 PM

magneezo said:
Thanks. Those cables are tough for sure.
You can get the Dynex velcro strips at Best Buy

I will have to add my wife's old Blu-Ray drive to it as well then. It doesn't work worth a darn, can't burn anything, but it'll give me a way to "hold up" the video card with the single straight SATA plug. That is such a perfect fit it astounds me. And Tiger now has these things for $339 refurb'd. I wonder if in a month when I'm actually ready to drop the hammer, it might be down to $299 or so?!!
Score
March 2, 2010 6:43:31 PM

occupant said:
I will have to add my wife's old Blu-Ray drive to it as well then. It doesn't work worth a darn, can't burn anything, but it'll give me a way to "hold up" the video card with the single straight SATA plug. That is such a perfect fit it astounds me. And Tiger now has these things for $339 refurb'd. I wonder if in a month when I'm actually ready to drop the hammer, it might be down to $299 or so?!!

I just want to bump it up to 8gigs then I think I'm done.
I wanted to throw a Quad core 605e in it but not too sure
I'd like to monster it out a bit more push it to the maxx.

On a sidenote I wouldn't get the newer 1331G-05W. The 250u processor in it is actually a 1.6 25w turtle. Just thought you should know.
Score
March 2, 2010 8:16:23 PM

Yeah and they're charging the same $398 for it. What a turd!

The new 235e/400e/405e/600e/605e processors sure work hard on low wattage. I'm not sure why AMD named it a 250u, it should be about a 60. Even a single core Celeron 900 gives it a run for its money. And I tossed that in favor of a T4300 in my $249 POS bargain bin laptop. Huge difference.

I'm also considering building my own, but when you factor in case, hard drive, OS, CPU, motherboard, DDR3 memory, an optical burner, and all that, it gets pretty expensive compared to an OEM system like this. Windows 7 OEM is $100 or so. A 785 series motherboard is another $60. $100 for an X4 620. $90 only gets me 4GB of DDR3 memory. A 750GB HD will pull down another $70. I haven't even got a DVD burner, cables, thermal paste, keyboard, mouse, speakers, or case yet and I've already hit $340. And if I didn't already have a healthy PSU and a solid video card, I'd be WAY over that.

*THAT* is where eMachines has their market niche. And this particular model just has gravy written all over it with its speed, memory/HD inclusion, and upgradability.

If I build my own I better have $700 or so available so I can make it an H55-H57/Core i5-661 based machine.
Score
March 2, 2010 10:08:07 PM

Quote:
Occupant said: I'm also considering building my own, but when you factor in case, hard drive, OS, CPU, motherboard, DDR3 memory, an optical burner, and all that, it gets pretty expensive compared to an OEM system like this. Windows 7 OEM is $100 or so... And this particular model just has gravy written all over it with its speed, memory/HD inclusion, and upgradability.

That's where I'm coming from, too. I've been itching to build something newer but can't afford state-of-the-art - may never be able to afford it. Windows 7 installed was kind of the clincher. I saw this deal on Tigerdirect and took the plunge. It actually dropped a few bucks in price - the total came to $368 with shipping. Mine should be here tomorrow.

Quote:
Magneezo said: That's it!
I recognized it immediately.
If you're going to replace the motherboard though, get one without those SATA ports directly behind the PCI-E slot and that has a jumper setting that allows overclocking.

Nah - I'm not looking to replace it right away. I'm just gathering all the latests specs, drivers, bios updates, software updates, manual, etc. to make a disk to have it all in one place. That's why I'm trying to nail down the exact mobo. Comments I saw on Walmart recommended upgrading with a video card and bigger than 300 watt power supply.

I saw that too about the newer " -05" model - weird how it's an inferior version!

Quote:
Occupant said: I wonder if in a month when I'm actually ready to drop the hammer, it might be down to $299 or so?!!

I wouldn't expect a cheaper price in a month - it's gone from Tiger today. I'm wondering if I got the last one because I ordered it Sunday night. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one is a gem and keeps me happy for awhile.

Thanx for all your input. I appreciate seeing the pics posted, too.
Score
March 2, 2010 10:33:20 PM

magneezo said:
I just want to bump it up to 8gigs then I think I'm done.

Where do you get memory? I've had good luck lately with www.oempcworld.com - the prices are good and shipping is free. They made on mistake on an order and corrected it immediately before I sent back the wrong item. First class mail - I got the memory in a couple days max. There is a configurator there - just plug in your machine model or let it check for you.

Score
March 2, 2010 11:16:00 PM

rthawk said:
Where do you get memory? I've had good luck lately with www.oempcworld.com - the prices are good and shipping is free. They made on mistake on an order and corrected it immediately before I sent back the wrong item. First class mail - I got the memory in a couple days max. There is a configurator there - just plug in your machine model or let it check for you.

I live in Charlotte N.C and we have ATD-inc who build computers and have parts and all that.
The 2GB of PC-800 Dimm I need will cost $69.
I've been there and they have it but I have yet to buy it.
www.atd-inc.com
(P.S their video card section online isn't current)
Score
March 3, 2010 12:25:49 AM

magneezo said:
I live in Charlotte N.C and we have ATD-inc who build computers and have parts and all that.
The 2GB of PC-800 Dimm I need will cost $69.
I've been there and they have it but I have yet to buy it.
www.atd-inc.com
(P.S their video card section online isn't current)

Here it is at oempcworld.com (when inputting ET1331G-03):
2GB PC2-6400 (800Mhz) 240 pin DDR2 DIMM (CCK)
Description:
2GB 240pin DDR2 DIMM 256Mx64 non ECC gold leads unbuffered 1.8 volts PC2-6400 DDR2-800 spec 800Mhz with SPD CAS 6 latency CL6 max 1.25 inches tall
Code: 2.0G-PC2-6400
Discount Price: $44.00
Score
March 26, 2010 2:05:06 PM

well i just bought this comp im looking at a 650w cosair power supply cuz i wanna put a 5770 card in here i figure the processor will hold me for now and in a fe months or so i may upgrade to a quadcore cpu as all i really play on here is nwn and some 2k basketball so i dont need a screamin system and for 350 buck i think i got a deal even with the planned add-ons
Score
March 26, 2010 2:30:33 PM

I've gone over so many different setups on NewEgg and Tiger and ZipZoomFly and even looked at other brands of refurbished or new computers, and for the money, this ET1331G-03w just screams value. $369 at Tiger at the moment, grab a better power supply ($80 or so) and a strong video card ($80-$120) and at the $600 price point there is no comparison. Throw in a II X4 630 or 635 and it would take a $900 system to beat it. It's just smart to upgrade a cheap generic computer. Try building a box equipped like this one stock, and you'll spend $500-$550 even with cheap no-name parts. It's silly to try.

Sadly the current model of this computer is saddled with a 250u version of the Athlon II X2 and it's a pig. But that's not saying you can't swap it for something better.
Score
March 26, 2010 2:45:22 PM

occupant said:
I've gone over so many different setups on NewEgg and Tiger and ZipZoomFly and even looked at other brands of refurbished or new computers, and for the money, this ET1331G-03w just screams value. $369 at Tiger at the moment, grab a better power supply ($80 or so) and a strong video card ($80-$120) and at the $600 price point there is no comparison. Throw in a II X4 630 or 635 and it would take a $900 system to beat it. It's just smart to upgrade a cheap generic computer. Try building a box equipped like this one stock, and you'll spend $500-$550 even with cheap no-name parts. It's silly to try.

Sadly the current model of this computer is saddled with a 250u version of the Athlon II X2 and it's a pig. But that's not saying you can't swap it for something better.

The mobo only handles up to 89 watts if I've read all the specs right, so the 620e was what I was looking at, but the benchmarks just don't add up. It really is a shame about the 250u, but for some reason I think EMachines was duped by AMD and their scheisty numbering system.... "Oh, By the way...this Athlon II x2 250u is an underclocked underpowered version of the next generation X2 technology, so it runs under what a normal Athlon II x2 250 would"
Who would've ever thought they'd give what should be Sempron an Athlon II x2 badge?
That's just plain deceptive.
Score
March 27, 2010 2:28:37 PM

magneezo said:
The mobo only handles up to 89 watts if I've read all the specs right, so the 620e was what I was looking at, but the benchmarks just don't add up.

Well I got my machine from TigerDirect and it's a nice looking shiny black sleek case. The included mouse and keyboard ARE crap as already mentioned in this thread.

I'm disappointed with the 235e processor. Since you mention the 620e I'm wondering how you know that the most up to date bios can handle a quad core processor on this mobo? What am I missing here?

Frankly, my head is spinning from researching cpus at AMD and I was confused about mobo specs that say it is an AM2 socket but is using an AM3 cpu UNTIL I found this article about AM3 backward compatibility with AM2/AM2+ mobos:
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/01/quick-remi...

Thought that info would be helpful to others who may be similarly behind in the processors wars.
Score
March 28, 2010 3:28:58 AM

rthawk said:
Well I got my machine from TigerDirect and it's a nice looking shiny black sleek case. The included mouse and keyboard ARE crap as already mentioned in this thread.

I'm disappointed with the 235e processor. Since you mention the 620e I'm wondering how you know that the most up to date bios can handle a quad core processor on this mobo? What am I missing here?

Frankly, my head is spinning from researching cpus at AMD and I was confused about mobo specs that say it is an AM2 socket but is using an AM3 cpu UNTIL I found this article about AM3 backward compatibility with AM2/AM2+ mobos:
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/01/quick-remi...

Thought that info would be helpful to others who may be similarly behind in the processors wars.

All I really did was get the mobo serial and check it against what new Athlon II processors it was currently able to hold. Apparently it's an ECS made specifically for Gateway/Acer and has been employed for some time.
It will handle an Athlon II up to 89 watts, preferably the 'e' series due to it's low power consumption.

Score
March 28, 2010 12:56:09 PM

OK. I did do some checking at Gateway with a gateway part # I found online for the board - I even let gateway check my machine but the info that came back was paltry which surprised me. I'll have to crack it open and do the serial # thing next.
Score
March 28, 2010 6:39:54 PM

rthawk said:
OK. I did do some checking at Gateway with a gateway part # I found online for the board - I even let gateway check my machine but the info that came back was paltry which surprised me. I'll have to crack it open and do the serial # thing next.

The only thing that's really Paltry to me is the Powersupply, the graphics card, and yes the 235e isn't a monster,
but I upgraded from a 2005 year T6412 with XP Home that had issues, monthly.
This is a whole new step up for me and I knew what I was getting before I got it.
Sorry you're not too pleased with the budget purchase.
There is hope though, just be ready to come off the hip a tad for it if you want to up it a bit,
or return it and get something better.
In all honesty I think you should move on with something better. (and I'm not trying to be funny)
I'm done with mine as I've put as much money into it as it's going to get unless something breaks.
Score
March 28, 2010 8:47:55 PM

What I meant was paltry was the information I got from a system check on gateway. I've opened the case, written down the serial # of the mobo and no amount of checking is getting me information I need for this motherboard. I want a dang manual!!

Even with the computer's serial number, gateway only identifies it as an emachine 1331g - then gives me zip, zero, nada for support docs, for drivers, etc. What is up with that? I can tell you, one thing I'm good at is digging for information on components and this dang motherboard is an elusive sucker. I was able to get some newer driver downloads from the emachines site before I even got the machine, but I simply cannot find the information you said in last post "did get the mobo serial and check it against what new Athlon II processors it was currently able to hold". Can you dig up and toss me a link to this information? I am afraid to spend $$ on a processor that won't work - I need to see the information with my own eyes.

This is supposed to be my newest machine that is easily upgradeable - moving on to something else is not something I can even entertain this early in the purchase!!
Score
March 29, 2010 12:47:40 AM

rthawk said:
What I meant was paltry was the information I got from a system check on gateway. I've opened the case, written down the serial # of the mobo and no amount of checking is getting me information I need for this motherboard. I want a dang manual!!

Even with the computer's serial number, gateway only identifies it as an emachine 1331g - then gives me zip, zero, nada for support docs, for drivers, etc. What is up with that? I can tell you, one thing I'm good at is digging for information on components and this dang motherboard is an elusive sucker. I was able to get some newer driver downloads from the emachines site before I even got the machine, but I simply cannot find the information you said in last post "did get the mobo serial and check it against what new Athlon II processors it was currently able to hold". Can you dig up and toss me a link to this information? I am afraid to spend $$ on a processor that won't work - I need to see the information with my own eyes.

This is supposed to be my newest machine that is easily upgradeable - moving on to something else is not something I can even entertain this early in the purchase!!

I actually had my own thread of questions on the motherboard and the processor some time ago:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270404-30-mcp61pm-ath...

Here's the general information on the Motherboard:
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006254R/4...

Here's the motherboard being sold on E-Bay with a Quad Core already attached to it (and a spec chart)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1303...*I8&GUID=9824cd7a1270a0b58411c6e1fffbe697&itemid=130375122095&ff4=263602_263622

Here's the chart for the AMD processors:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/athlo...
Score
March 30, 2010 3:10:06 AM

magneezo said:
I actually had my own thread of questions on the motherboard and the processor some time ago:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270404-30-mcp61pm-ath...

Here's the general information on the Motherboard:
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006254R/4...

Here's the motherboard being sold on E-Bay with a Quad Core already attached to it (and a spec chart)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1303...*I8&GUID=9824cd7a1270a0b58411c6e1fffbe697&itemid=130375122095&ff4=263602_263622

Here's the chart for the AMD processors:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/athlo...

This was all very helpful. I came up with the same gateway page, however, when I saw it only took 4 gig memory I figured it's not the newest version of the board since mine takes 8gig. That ebay picture shows a Rev 2.1 on the mobo, not Rev 2.2 like mine, however it's good to see a slightly older mobo version being able to handle the quad core cpu. My mobo is not part number 4006254R - mine has a rather long number (mbnb)307001934008109100 - that doesn't appear to be a gateway part number.

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I appreciate you replying.
Score
March 30, 2010 10:03:22 PM

rthawk said:
This was all very helpful. I came up with the same gateway page, however, when I saw it only took 4 gig memory I figured it's not the newest version of the board since mine takes 8gig. That ebay picture shows a Rev 2.1 on the mobo, not Rev 2.2 like mine, however it's good to see a slightly older mobo version being able to handle the quad core cpu. My mobo is not part number 4006254R - mine has a rather long number (mbnb)307001934008109100 - that doesn't appear to be a gateway part number.

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I appreciate you replying.

The ECS MCP61PM-GM has had a couple of different versions (there was an AM version too) and it was hard for me to understand at first how they could change an AM2/AM2+ board to an AM3 running a new Athlon II x2 235e (these processors were just released in the fall of 2009) but obviously whomever is at the core of all of this switching is quite savvy in saving the parent co $$ while implementing the same old technology with a few board revisions and a Bios change.
The 2.2 version is the new AM2+/AM3 update I'm sure. That Quad core on that E-Bay machine has a tad bit of age on it
Score
April 4, 2010 4:13:59 AM

magneezo said:
The ECS MCP61PM-GM has had a couple of different versions (there was an AM version too) and it was hard for me to understand at first how they could change an AM2/AM2+ board to an AM3 running a new Athlon II x2 235e (these processors were just released in the fall of 2009) but obviously whomever is at the core of all of this switching is quite savvy in saving the parent co $$ while implementing the same old technology with a few board revisions and a Bios change.
The 2.2 version is the new AM2+/AM3 update I'm sure. That Quad core on that E-Bay machine has a tad bit of age on it

I too have purchased this machine from Tiger direct...349.00 plus shipping...Not a gamer but found that this was the BEST deal out there for a Windows 7 64bit PC...With 6 gb memory....No question...

PS thanks for the input on the Motherboard...I could not get any help from the support or the refurb company as to specs....GREAT to see others praise this machine because others are in the dark!!
But I was wondering what would be a good case fan...couldn't find the specs as to size so I could buy one...Any suggestions?
Score
April 4, 2010 4:56:01 AM

twointahoe said:

But I was wondering what would be a good case fan...couldn't find the specs as to size so I could buy one...Any suggestions?

I bought the 'Dynex' case fan from Best Buy, $9.99 and it is super quiet.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+80mm+CP... case fan
It was the only one I could find that still had a three pin connector for the motherboard 'fan' option
as opposed to a 4-pin molex connector (it has that too on a dongle included in the package).
You see, the only problem is I bought a Thermaltake PSU with cable mgt. and I installed no 4-pin molex connectors because the machine didn't require any, and I'll be damned if I was going to pull my top DVD drive out and hanker with a cable.
There are two 'fan' 3 pin connectors on the motherboard (besides the one being used for the CPU)
One on the backside of the CPU near the VGA input and one at the very bottom of the case (copper colored, 'pwr-fan')
Score
April 4, 2010 5:08:02 AM

Hey Thanks!
I was wondering what is the size of the fan too. Tiger Direct sells a bunch for low price but they list them by milimeters. The Dynex you mention sounds good. But if you know the size that would be helpful.
Getting the true specs for this unit is sometimes a search and a 1/2....

E machines wont answer my questions because the supposrt has been assigned to the refurbisher (Revonate) or Seneca. I called them for some info and some of them are helpful but aren't sure about some of the specs like the motherboard. I wanted to find out what kind of hard drive it took. I opened the case took it out and found it was a Seagate 7200 but couldn't get an answer from the spec sheets so checked with seagate site and they matched 750gb 32mb cache! By the way thanks for the info you posted...It was very helpful.

Also, Whats the best way to punch out the metal tabs on back to put in expansion cards....I don't want to bend up the case...I am lible to ruin the mobo....any suggestions? Thanks again...
Score
April 4, 2010 5:15:16 AM

twointahoe said:
Hey Thanks!
I was wondering what is the size of the fan too. Tiger Direct sells a bunch for low price but they list them by milimeters. The Dynex you mention sounds good. But if you know the size that would be helpful.
Getting the true specs for this unit is sometimes a search and a 1/2....

E machines wont answer my questions because the supposrt has been assigned to the refurbisher (Revonate) or Seneca. I called them for some info and some of them are helpful but aren't sure about some of the specs like the motherboard. I wanted to find out what kind of hard drive it took. I opened the case took it out and found it was a Seagate 7200 but couldn't get an answer from the spec sheets so checked with seagate site and they matched 750gb 32mb cache! By the way thanks for the info you posted...It was very helpful.

Also, Whats the best way to punch out the metal tabs on back to put in expansion cards....I don't want to bend up the case...I am lible to ruin the mobo....any suggestions? Thanks again...

It' an 80 mm fan. Here's a picture of the package:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13506&typ...

I found it easiest to stick a small screwdriver through the hole in the removeable tabs and rock them up and down until they pop out (which they will).
You don't need to worry about keeping that shielding plate in there once you add a card. It will keep falling out (and eventually I realized it had no use.)
Score
April 4, 2010 5:18:03 AM

Hey Thanks again!..
Have to say this is the best computer I have owned!
Had a compaq, Dell in the past. Priced out those new with the same features and you are right...7-800.00 range....
Score
April 4, 2010 5:31:25 AM

twointahoe said:
Hey Thanks again!..
Have to say this is the best computer I have owned!
Had a compaq, Dell in the past. Priced out those new with the same features and you are right...7-800.00 range....

It was no question in my mind when I saw this machine in late November that i had to have it!
I had been searching for 3-4 months but wanted to wait on Win 7 to arrive.
I almost settled for one of those Compaq's Oddice Depot was selling for $329 with the last years AMD processor and 3 GB ram with a 500 GB HDD.
Glad as hell that I waited.
I knew eventually E-Machines would release at least one machine everyone would clamor over...
and the ET1331G W-03 was definitely the end of the year surprise.
Score
April 4, 2010 5:38:58 AM

Yes, before I bought this unit, I looked at walmart to see what a new one was going for and saw its no longer available...glad I bought the refurbished one......absolutely no problems and a great deal! Anyone who thinks otherwise must have money to burn! I don't. Glad I waited too!

The other office... easy button store offered a few units with same specs but less memory, smaller HD. So....long and short of it is...E machines is the best deal out there if you can find it now...Thanks for the help!!
Score
April 5, 2010 12:58:00 AM

magneezo said:
It' an 80 mm fan. Here's a picture of the package:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13506&typ...

I found it easiest to stick a small screwdriver through the hole in the removeable tabs and rock them up and down until they pop out (which they will).
You don't need to worry about keeping that shielding plate in there once you add a card. It will keep falling out (and eventually I realized it had no use.)

Hey I noticed in the picture above a different power supply. What are you using? Is it easy to install?
(Massive video card!)...I think the PS that comes with it is on 250w but someone told me if I upgrade I need at least a 500....any thoughts?
Score
April 5, 2010 3:19:27 AM

twointahoe said:
Hey I noticed in the picture above a different power supply. What are you using? Is it easy to install?
(Massive video card!)...I think the PS that comes with it is on 250w but someone told me if I upgrade I need at least a 500....any thoughts?

It's a Thermaltake 550 watt. Easy install, just match the cable per cable and it's easy as pie.
I would honestly get a 600 watt PSU or better so you can handle a bigger video card if you need.
Get something that will have around 46a on the combined dual 12v+ rail.
You can probably find one online at a good price.
Best Buy charges out the wazoo for a PSU.
Score
April 17, 2010 12:35:53 AM

Has anyone figured out how to enable memory remapping in the BIOS? I can't even access the BIOS and when I chatted online with Gateway support, the poor tech who didn't even understand the problem offered me a callback from "pay support". The problem is that Windows 7 64 bit doesn't use more than 3GB of the 6GB installed and the only fix is to enable memory remapping which may not even be doable in this machine. What would be the point of making it expandable to 8GB if I can't even take advantage of the 6 already installed?
Score
April 17, 2010 2:48:56 AM

Why can't you get into the bios? I press 'delete' to enter setup. Under Advanced Chipset Features there is a setting called Memory Hole Remapping. Mine is set to enabled. Is this what you are referring to?
Score
April 17, 2010 5:35:04 AM

rthawk said:
Why can't you get into the bios? I press 'delete' to enter setup. Under Advanced Chipset Features there is a setting called Memory Hole Remapping. Mine is set to enabled. Is this what you are referring to?

Yeah, I'm an idiot. Thanks. Unfortunately, mine was set to enabled as well which doesn't explain why the system shows "Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)"?
Score
April 17, 2010 12:53:27 PM

Mac Daddy said:
Unfortunately, mine was set to enabled as well which doesn't explain why the system shows "Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)"?

I don't know - mine sez 6.00 GB (5.75 GB usable). I am using the stock configuration right now...no video card upgrade or anything else added so far.

I found a discussion elsewhere that quotes from Microsoft saying:

"When the physical RAM that is installed on a computer equals the address space that is supported by the chipset, the total system memory that is available to the operating system is always less than the physical RAM that is installed.

For example, consider a computer that has a chipset that supports 8 GB of address space. If you install 8 GB of RAM, the system memory that is available to the operating system will be reduced by the PCI configuration requirements. In this scenario, PCI configuration requirements reduce the memory that is available to the operating system by an amount that is between approximately 200 MB and approximately 1 GB. The reduction depends on the configuration."

In that same thread someone posted: "Difference is shared memory with video card in some instances. Bios update has slight chance of making it use all."

There is a bios update (not related to memory usage) - I haven't applied it to my machine since I'm not having any problems. The description is:
ET1331G bios update
BIOS eMachines
P01.A2 1.6 MB 2010/01/19
1. Fixes S3 Keep Lighting, PS2 KB/MS cannot wakeup issue.

Anyway, your usage seems high, doesn't it?

Score
April 17, 2010 8:13:16 PM

You must have your video card maxxed out under the memory selection.
Even in 'off' mode my machine still allocates some 1540 mb of extra system memory to my PCI-E drop in video card.
Why? I can't tell you.
It will be used if needed and if not it won't be, so actually I like the added feature
of 'grab and go' if its needed instead of just giving an error message.
Score
April 18, 2010 1:52:16 AM

magneezo said:
You must have your video card maxxed out under the memory selection.
Even in 'off' mode my machine still allocates some 1540 mb of extra system memory to my PCI-E drop in video card.
Why? I can't tell you.
It will be used if needed and if not it won't be, so actually I like the added feature
of 'grab and go' if its needed instead of just giving an error message.

I think you just solved my "problem". I upgraded the card to an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1 GB http://review.zdnet.com/product/graphics-cards/evga-e-g...;col1 and maxed out all of the settings. I didn't realize that would affect available physical memory. Thanks.
Score
April 19, 2010 2:22:43 PM

rthawk said:
I don't know - mine sez 6.00 GB (5.75 GB usable). I am using the stock configuration right now...no video card upgrade or anything else added so far.

I found a discussion elsewhere that quotes from Microsoft saying:

"When the physical RAM that is installed on a computer equals the address space that is supported by the chipset, the total system memory that is available to the operating system is always less than the physical RAM that is installed.

For example, consider a computer that has a chipset that supports 8 GB of address space. If you install 8 GB of RAM, the system memory that is available to the operating system will be reduced by the PCI configuration requirements. In this scenario, PCI configuration requirements reduce the memory that is available to the operating system by an amount that is between approximately 200 MB and approximately 1 GB. The reduction depends on the configuration."

In that same thread someone posted: "Difference is shared memory with video card in some instances. Bios update has slight chance of making it use all."

There is a bios update (not related to memory usage) - I haven't applied it to my machine since I'm not having any problems. The description is:
ET1331G bios update
BIOS eMachines
P01.A2 1.6 MB 2010/01/19
1. Fixes S3 Keep Lighting, PS2 KB/MS cannot wakeup issue.

Anyway, your usage seems high, doesn't it?

I have the same computer and that is exactly what mine reads. 5.75 available memory. That is without any video card upgrade...just stock equipment.....for now...
I appreciate the post because I wasn't aware of this situation so I am going to keep that in mind when I do upgrade memory or the video card..
Score
!