Dangerous i5 temps - What do I do?

77seven

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
My new i5 750 processor is running at over 80 degrees celsius in prime95! I've tried reseating the heatsink and reapplying thermal paste (AS5) at least four times now, and my case has pretty decent airflow. I'm starting to think that it might be a bad chip. Is there anything that I could've missed, or might I have to send it back to Intel?

I never use prime 95. But 80 celcius is not high enough to panic. If you're going to overclock, use a copper heatpipe heatsink with 120mm fan; for 92mm size, slickdeals.net had one listed for $6 after $10 rebate today that beats the stock Intel unit.

77seven

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I'm not overclocking, but I am using the stock cooler. The core i5 does have the Turbo Boost, which will kick the cpu up to 2.8GHz under load by upping the multiplier. I see the consenus so far is that I should buy some kind of new heatsink - how do I know what to look for in a good HSF?

77seven

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

I've mounted it and re-mounted it a number of times... I don't see how I could've consistently messed it up like that, unless there's some secret to the Intel HSF.

boringbugz

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hello there

I was wondering how was your temp!?

I know it been a long time but....

If you still have the probleme could you post a screenshot of CPUz application on the cpu tab?

I'm curious about wich configuration your motherboard set as default... as you said you didn't raise any frequences..

And finally, why don't you use IntelBurnTest that has been write for Intel.. ? xD

anyways, have a good day