Not sure if im worrying over nothing with my new build.

delusional

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Specs: i7 920 2.66Ghz
Case : CoolerMaster Cosmos S
Mobo : Asus P6T delux v2
ram : 6Gb OCZ PC12800 1600Mhz triple channel
GFX : Asus ATI EAH4890 1Gb
PSU : Seasonic M12D 850watts
HDD : 1x seagate 160Gb @ 7200RPM 2x seagate 1.5Tb @ 7200 RPM

wasnt 100% where i should post this so i do apologise if i did it in the wrong section.

the following spec was just recently put together with less then a week ago.
i was doing a full clean installation of win7 x64bit early this week and i noticed it took quite sometime for it to actually initiate the installation....this was clearly proven not long later, on my friends computer... that it was definitely slow to kick up installation process because his what started almost immediately once it loaded the windows files. this wasnt the only issue i also noticed something different while in windows, while i was watching a movie... when i heard a click sound... as if something was powering down inside my case. for that slight moment there was video lag and that would continue unless i drag it around. i've ran multiple scans using the seagate tool on their site all 3 of my drives have come out positive for all test and passed it. im honestly in a bundle at the moment cause i dont know if this is an issue that might greatly affect me later on down the traffic (if and if not it might get worst.) has anyone else come across this type of issues before?

any suggestions as to what i should do?

thank you.

Solution
@delusional Yup in order to run the RAM at 1600MHz. you would have to overclock your CPU too...
The memory is referenced from the bclk, and so is the CPU speed. So if you have to increase the speed of the memory, it would automatically increase the CPU speed.
But that overclock to the 3.2GHz is not a big problem at all...Even using stock HSF, it can be achieved. And here is a guide to help you on that...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overclocking-guide

And as for the your HDD, even though both are 7200.11 drives, the 1.5TB has better performance because of the addtional cache and the platter density is high.
Check this benchmark...Here it beats the 1TB 7200.11 drive...
^ Some questions -
1. Have you set the rated timings and speed of the RAM in the BIOS ?
2. On which HDD are you installing the OS ? And do you have any RAID setup ? Have you updated the firmware on these drives ?

As for the click sound, I doubt it is from the HDD - The Seagate drives (the 7200.11, 7200.10) had this issue...

delusional

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
nope i havent touched the rated timings and speed of the ram
windows was installed on the 160Gb HDD and none of these drives are setup in any sort of RAID config, and no i dont believe i updated the firmware for the drives i never knew you could do that....

When you install RAM sticks faster than 1066MHz, it will automatically set it to the 1066MHz speed(CPU controlled). But you can manually set the rated speed - here for your RAM is 1600MHz, in the BIOS without any issues.

And as for the HDD, check this -
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931&NewLang=en

Are the 1.5TB Seagate drives the newer ones ? I would rather install the OS on those drives rather than on the old 160GB drive...

delusional

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
well if i read right there is no point in shoving the ram speed up to 1600Mhz due to the CPU running at 2.66Mhz which is causing the ram to bottle neck at that speed is it not? to open that bottle neck up i would have to OC my CPU to atleast a 3.2Ghz for actually be able to run the ram at suggest 1600Mhz correct me if i am wrong i am new to this but this is what i read and been told.

i bought the 160Gb for the sole purpose of running purely windows on its own dislike having my windows running in that mumbo jumbo partition crap. according to EVEREST all three drives are 7200.11 (11th generation) so how is the 160Gb older then the 1.5TB ? again correct me if i am wrong

also im abit concerned about MB and CPU temp.
my room temp at the moment is pretty hot i say its sitting at about 27degree celsius
given that my

Mobo temp is sitting at about 45deg celsius
CPU temp: 38
core1 : 45
core2 : 45
core3 : 42
core4 : 42

these are idle temps should i be worrying about thess figures ? need to get aircon ASAP =( stupid room gets so hot as it facing the sun direction as it sets. >_<

Are you installing Win7 and watching movies from an IDE CD/DVD-ROM? The X58 chipset does not natively support IDE and all i7 mobo makers rely on 3rd party chips to provide IDE functionality, although it is natively support in the BIOS, being a 3rd party chip, may require specific drivers. If in fact you installed Win7 and were watching movies from an IDE CD/DVD-ROM, then that might be the cause of your concern.

delusional

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
no all my connections are Sata connections including my dvd-rom i made sure none of those PoS IDE followed me from the old build =].

but the heat is still my concern i know i7s are meant to run hot but just what is its average idle temp. and load temp. that is what i am unsure of at the moment and want some what of a ball park figure on what they should be....

spent all night stability testing my system after i jacked up my ram to 1600mhz as it should be having not changing anything else besides DRam timing. but the thing i was puzzled over was my CPU speed was rated and ran at 2.8ghz ( 133.64 with a x21 mutiplier...) which surprises me because that is about a 5% OC increase of my system without me having done anything. all this info was achieved through EVEREST ultimate. 5.30 so i trust the reading. question still lies as to how my system OC itself by 5% without me having changing any values or multipier, or is this a standard thing with everyone else?

@delusional Yup in order to run the RAM at 1600MHz. you would have to overclock your CPU too...
The memory is referenced from the bclk, and so is the CPU speed. So if you have to increase the speed of the memory, it would automatically increase the CPU speed.
But that overclock to the 3.2GHz is not a big problem at all...Even using stock HSF, it can be achieved. And here is a guide to help you on that...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overclocking-guide

And as for the your HDD, even though both are 7200.11 drives, the 1.5TB has better performance because of the addtional cache and the platter density is high.
Check this benchmark...Here it beats the 1TB 7200.11 drive.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Seagate-Barracuda-1.5-TB,2032-5.html

Solution

delusional

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
ahhh very handy dandy !! thanks gkay.

well its summer in sydney and the heat gets rediculously hot over here so will just reset my BIOS to default until i can work out a good CPU cooling system to stabalise my system atleast at a mid 30s on idle and mid 60s on full load till then i will live of stock setting couldnt really tell the difference anyways beside in benchmarking...

and as for the HDD i see your point i will probably replace that 160Gb with a SSD anyways so i will let it cope for now, its doing no harm =]

and again thank you.

delusional

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
i really want to lean into watercooling due to my restrictive side panel fan... i originally had the Xigmatek DK installed but couldnt close my side panel due to the extended side mounted 200mm fan on my coolermaster Cosmos S case. but i am very unfamiliar with water cooling and i am very uneducated in that field, could you possibly help push/point me in the right direction?

To go the water cooling route, you have 2 possible options...
1. Either get the parts separately and DIY (or)
2. You get ready-made water-cooling setups like Corsair H50, CoolIt..., which have a sealed loop with water-block and the radiator...

I wouldnt say one is better over the other as both have their downsides...

If you are a newbie in water cooling, I would suggest you lean towards the 2nd option...But it wont give results as good as the 1st option, but would be easier to install and have nearly Zero maintenance...
But you have to select the good one out of the lot though...
Some well known CLosed-Loop coolers...
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/1/
http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/products/cpu-coolers.html

But if you want to DIY, then this should be a good start...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide