Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I select new vid card?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 12, 2010 6:59:54 PM

OK, having some issues with my Velocity Micro gaming rig. Either it's the mobo or the video cards that are causing me grief, and I am getting someone to come in (more knowledgeable than I) to find out what the exact problem is.

Now, if I have to replace either mobo or vid cards (or both), is there a website that I can use that will allow me to see which new conponent(s) are compatible with the component(s) I DON'T have to replace?

Mobo currently - Asus A8N SLI - Nvidisa nForce 4 SLI MCP, PCI Express with DDR
Vid cards currently - @ x 256Mb eVGA Nvidia GEForce 7800 GT in SLI, PCI-Express, 2 x DVI

Power Supply is 550W.

Any assistance appreciated!

More about : select vid card

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 12:25:02 PM

ronachan said:

Now, if I have to replace either mobo or vid cards (or both), is there a website that I can use that will allow me to see which new conponent(s) are compatible with the component(s) I DON'T have to replace?

Mobo currently - Asus A8N SLI - Nvidisa nForce 4 SLI MCP, PCI Express with DDR
Vid cards currently - @ x 256Mb eVGA Nvidia GEForce 7800 GT in SLI, PCI-Express, 2 x DVI

Power Supply is 550W.

Any assistance appreciated!

This is a good site as any ( if not better ). :) 
Any PCIe 2.0 video card on sale to day should work with your motherboard. But do not expect to Crossfire 2xATI Graphics Cards.
I think you mean you have 2x7800GT in SLI. There is a typo error there.
In this case, I suggest you try to run 1 card at a time to see if any of the two cards is giving you the problem you encounter. If both cards gives the same problem then it maybe your motherboard.

What is your CPU by the way? And your monitor resolution?

April 14, 2010 2:56:54 PM

randomkid said:
This is a good site as any ( if not better ). :) 
Any PCIe 2.0 video card on sale to day should work with your motherboard. But do not expect to Crossfire 2xATI Graphics Cards.
I think you mean you have 2x7800GT in SLI. There is a typo error there.
In this case, I suggest you try to run 1 card at a time to see if any of the two cards is giving you the problem you encounter. If both cards gives the same problem then it maybe your motherboard.

What is your CPU by the way? And your monitor resolution?

I have an AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+ Processor with Dual Core Technology, 939-pin* on this motherboard. Can't remember what resolution I have on my monitor, its a 24" widescreen model.

And yes, that was supposed to be 2 vid cards in my original post.

Seems however that the vid cards may not be the problem. In the course of fiddling around with the innards of the machine last night, I found that the heatsink bracket had snapped on one side, and therefore the heatsink itself was not fully in conctact with the CPU. I am inclined now to think that THIS was the cause of all my shutdowns and freezes, rather than the vid cards themselves.

New heatsink bracket ordered, and hopefully in a couple of days I can get things back together and test system stability.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 3:00:08 PM

Quote:
Please put input on what the technical issue is please. Basically, tell me what is wrong.

Machine will very often not boot up when I switch on, but sit there beeping. From reading manuals that came with the machine, this would indicate that there was some sort of problem with either the video cards or the motherboard.

If I was able to get the machine powered up, it would then freeze and switch itself off, and when I try to start it up again, I get the issue I outlined in the first paragraph.

However, see my reply to randomkid's post - vid cards may not have been the probelm after all, it looks like it could be an issue with the heatsink mount/bracket breaking, and resultant misalignment of the heatsink with the CPU.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 11:56:47 PM

ronachan said:

Seems however that the vid cards may not be the problem. In the course of fiddling around with the innards of the machine last night, I found that the heatsink bracket had snapped on one side, and therefore the heatsink itself was not fully in conctact with the CPU. I am inclined now to think that THIS was the cause of all my shutdowns and freezes, rather than the vid cards themselves.

New heatsink bracket ordered, and hopefully in a couple of days I can get things back together and test system stability.

That explains it. If the heatsink is not doing its work to cool the CPU then the motherboard will shut down to prevent overheating.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 11:58:01 PM

Quote:
Try realigning the heatsink system. PN me if you need a question aked off-thread. I would help you better w/o competition.

:)  Why PM? In the forum is good so other people can learn too and enjoy the fun...
m
l
April 23, 2010 2:35:10 PM

Best answer selected by ronachan.
m
l
!