Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Swap HDD platters ?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Hitachi
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
September 3, 2011 7:13:02 PM

Hello,
I have Hitachi 1TB hdd with this model number: hdt721010sla360

I didn't find the same model but found: HDS721010CLA332
So can I use it? and what if I swap the platter with it's PCB? shouldn't that solve the model problem?

Oh and another thing, before I get in swapping the platters, can I swap te PCB first? and if not work go for platters but I'm worry if putting a PCB of other model can damage anything from hardware to data?

BTW the hdd is clicking and not recognised by bios, it is exremly dead.

More about : swap hdd platters

a c 126 G Storage
September 3, 2011 7:16:39 PM

Just replace the 'clicking' drive. It is not worth spending time and money trying to repair this drive.

Swapping platters is not a do-it-yourself task. It requires a 'Clean Room'.
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 3:04:53 PM

Ubrales said:
Just replace the 'clicking' drive. It is not worth spending time and money trying to repair this drive.

Swapping platters is not a do-it-yourself task. It requires a 'Clean Room'.


hello,
I don't think there is any one on earth will bye a new hdd try to swap platters and heads and destroying both drives just to "fix" the drive!!
I'm trying to recover my critical data.

Sorry because I didn't mention it before but I thought it is obvious :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 126 G Storage
September 10, 2011 3:15:54 PM

m_zeid said:
hello,
I don't think there is any one on earth will bye a new hdd try to swap platters and heads and destroying both drives just to "fix" the drive!!
I'm trying to recover my critical data.

Sorry because I didn't mention it before but I thought it is obvious :) 

Good that you realize that! I don't like to assume anything! (ASS U ME).

Try this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/...
More info: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-10149_102-310752.html
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 327 G Storage
September 10, 2011 10:39:05 PM

Clicking is usually symptomatic of a head or media fault. In any case, it is not safe to swap boards on Hitachi drives, even between identical models. This is because each PCB has unique, drive specific information in an NVRAM chip. This chip, or its contents, needs to be transferred to the donor. Moreover, my understanding is that there is a finite risk of NVRAM overwrite if a non-native PCB is installed on the drive.

BTW, if your drive has more than 1 platter, and if its heads park on the platters, then here is what a platter swap entails:

Head Stack Replacement: Questions and Answers:
http://hddguru.com/content/en/articles/2006.02.17-Chang...

Head replacement and platter swap demo:
http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/2010/06/22/head-repl...
Share
September 11, 2011 11:38:51 AM

fzabkar said:
Clicking is usually symptomatic of a head or media fault. In any case, it is not safe to swap boards on Hitachi drives, even between identical models. This is because each PCB has unique, drive specific information in an NVRAM chip. This chip, or its contents, needs to be transferred to the donor. Moreover, my understanding is that there is a finite risk of NVRAM overwrite if a non-native PCB is installed on the drive.

BTW, if your drive has more than 1 platter, and if its heads park on the platters, then here is what a platter swap entails:

Head Stack Replacement: Questions and Answers:
http://hddguru.com/content/en/articles/2006.02.17-Chang...

Head replacement and platter swap demo:
http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/2010/06/22/head-repl...


thank you ALOT the hddguru article os very very informative, I guess I should explore more on that web site, I registered in their orums before but got no help. Maybe their articles will be more helpfull.

Infact my drive have a corrupt head, it is head 5, it is lower than it should be and it physically touch the above platter but it is not scratching it.(yes I've already opened the drive 2 weeks ago).

My luck!! my drive (Hitachi) have parking zone for the heads stack out side the platters, so I think it should ease the process at some point.

thank you very much, I'll update this topic in a week (when I recieve the hdd) during this week I will prepare the tools and the clean chamber.

cheers :) 
m
0
l
September 13, 2011 4:30:42 AM

Sadly I didn't find any one who can afford or order the drive with the exact model, but as my first post I can have this: HDS721010CLA332
and my drive is: hdt721010sla360
for head replacing, is it good enough?
anywah I'll still try it and eventually reply with the result, hopefull will help someone else in the future.
m
0
l
September 21, 2011 6:57:01 PM

Best answer selected by m_zeid.
m
0
l
!