Pentium Dual E5x00 Overclock & Voltages

Anyone with a E5x00 Pentium Dual series that has been overclocked?

I wish to compare voltages and OCs for lowest voltage stability, etc

I currently have an E5300 @ 3GHz with 1.26volts. When I try to bring it to even 3.2GHz, it becomes unstable at the same volts.
This is strange since I've seen ppl with E5200s and E5300s do 3.4GHz with around 1.2v

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I can't remember what the stock voltage on my e5200 was (1.3volts I think?), but it ran perfectly stable at 3.33GHz/266 fsb as soon as I put it in the PC. Of course, after about 3 days of non-stop encoding work, I then took it out and put back in my trusty Celeron 420, as I'm storing the dual core for when I actually find myself needing dual cores for lga 775, but I digress...

Although, that e5200 was the latest stepping. I originally had an earlier stepping e5200 that couldn't even reach 3.2GHz on stock volts. Needed 1.4 volts just to get that far. On stock voltage, it stopped at 3.0GHz, and the damn thing ran a fair bit hotter than my latest stepping. Anyhow, I sold the first one for $50 and purchased the second one during a black friday sale for $40, and haven't looked back since.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008

What do you use your pc for with the 420 inside of it? My father had one and we soon replaced as even older games struggled to run and Vista was very sluggish and even opening the control panel maxed out the cpu for about 3 seconds of 100% usage.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

My E5200 runs @ 3.3GHz full time, speed step turned off, with 1.23 volts. Are you overclocking the RAM too?

Nope. My RAM is DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz. It's actually underclocked at around 770MHz.

My stepspeed is enabled, but I don't think that affects the voltage.

Does unstable cpu voltages cause bluescreens or shutoffs? My instability so far have been crash to bluescreen that mentions some driver error.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
What is the mobo? Is there a Northbridge voltage adjustment?
Maybe you're hitting its FSB wall? Or try this. Lower your multiplier to 6 and go fo 300 bus speed (quad-pumped to 1200 MHz). If it works then raise the multiplier gradually until you crash.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

If you must know, it's pretty much an internet only machine. The Celeron is pin modded to 333fsb though, so it runs at 2.66GHz, which helps out quite a bit with the general quickness of the machine and for large screen flash video. That computer also runs XP, so it's not so resource intensive as Vista. I agree though, Vista and a single core CPU is not a pleasant experience...
Anywho, back on topic!!

GA-EP35-DS3P | E5200 OC'd to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12) @ 1.4 volts.

I lost the CPU lottery. VID is 1.2875 volts. :( The CPU hits a brick wall at 3.78. Raising the vcore to 1.6 volts :eek: doesn't help.

The motherboard ran at 3.6 GHz (400 X 9) with a Q6600 so I know it's not the motherboard.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
In BIOS CPU configuration, turn off everything except core multi processing.

In the BIOS O.N.E. menu, auto overclock = set to manul
Intel Speed STep = OFF
Ratio CMOS = 12 (IF 12 is not an option then you need to flash the BIOS to latest revision)

CPU freq = 267

DRAM speed - 667 (work on this later, but lower the speed in case your motherboard automatically raises it when you OC the bus speed, as what happens on my ECS G31 mobo)

PCI freq = 100

CPU voltage = 1.3 (lower once your're stable)

I see that you can adjust your NB voltage.

Here's the link to the your motherboard manual BIOS screens:

http://download.biostar.com.tw/upload/Manual/IP45B-A7T_IP43B-A7T_080915.zip

My motherboard is the
TP43D2-A7 series

and it does not give me the option to manually set the CPU voltages. It only allows me to set the "cpu overvolt..."

This is the BIOS manual: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=vCm&q=TP45D2-A7%2FTP43D2-A7+BIOS+Manual&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

So, what's the problem? You have the option to add voltage to the chipset, vtt, and cpu in that bios. I suggest adding +0.1V to all 3 and try overclocking again. You realize that "overvolt" just means it adds that amount of voltage to whatever the normal voltage for that item is. As long as you have descent cooling for the cpu, you'll be fine.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
You add more volts, more electricity more fuel to burn for the same reason you push further down on the gas pedal when you want to go faster! Lol....

Or, a lightbulb puts out light. If you want more light, you go from a 75watt to a 100watt. A cpu and chipsets put out cycles. If you want more cycles, you need more watts! Lol again....

Aye, but I rarely see people having to change the chipset voltage/vtt. The vast majority of them just change the cpu voltage and maybe the RAM voltage. The only time that I see them change the other voltages is when they're overclocking multiple components such as RAM as well...which I'm not doing.

My CPU voltage is still within stock...so why does the chipset and vtt (I'm not even sure what vtt does) require more voltage?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Seeing as you have the word "veteran" under your name, I'd expect you to know this. Since not, then I'll tell you to read the overclocking guides and use google.

Just because I have a forum given title under my name doesn't mean I know everything about a certain computer component.
I rarely overclock my chip set so I have no idea what the vtt voltage is for.

Yes, I'm sure google has a detailed explanation for it. But I'm asking for a quick explanation from someone who is more knowledgeable.

So I overvolted the hell outta the E5300, and got it to 4ghz, then brought it down to 3.6GHz with voltage ranging from 1.14v to 1.32v CPU, 1.6v CPU PLL.

Now it's running at 3.6GHz Prime95 stable, idling at 32'C and maxing out at 61'C on my cheap $10 thermaltake cooler.

In passmark, it gets ~2800points, which is about 200 or so higher than the passmark score of the E8400 @ stock 3.0GHz. :D

Latest posts