Is my current PSU Enough for Geforce gtx 285 ?

bigly

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hi

I have a question.
I have buy new graphic card : "BFG Geforce gtx 285"
my old card was Geforce 8800 gts320
i want to know if i must change the PSU
here is the specification of my PSU

BLACK DIAMOND Point of VIEW
Model :BD500W
+5v : 40A
+12v1: 16A
+12v2: 17A
-12v : 0.8A
+3.3v: 34A
+5VSB: 2.5A

Thanks

Solution
Short answer, no. Upgrade your PSU first to a quality name brand (corsair/antec/seasonic). Save for GPU later. I made same mistake you are about to make. Heed this advice at your own choosing.

shubham1401

Distinguished
Don't think negative...
There will be just a small explosion thats it :)

Just kidding...
Anything can happen...There is possibility that GPU will not get enough power...

If you want to get a Nvidia card then why not go for the GTX 275...
Slightly less performance for much less $$

sparky13

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Short answer, no. Upgrade your PSU first to a quality name brand (corsair/antec/seasonic). Save for GPU later. I made same mistake you are about to make. Heed this advice at your own choosing.

Solution

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
You never want to stress your PSU. When PSU's get stressed, they heat up which causes more stress, etc... . You may not blow it right away, but you can cause a lot of fatigue over many cycles of use.

If the specs say you need a 550w PSU, get a 600w or higher. PSU's will last much longer if not stressed.

i wouldn't trust this 500w, 33A on the 12v, probably not even, we all know that 16+17 doesn't always equal 33 (for amps)

G

I have a Dell Studio 435 XPS that was a outlet PC (920 i7, 4670 ATI w/512, 12 gig DDR3, Vista 64, BR player CDRW), (excellent price - $765). Problem was the ATI card would not sync the HDTV (Proview 40" PA-40JK1A) on the DVi to HDMI conversion, it would see it, identify it, but not display to it. I asked Dell for support and they indicated that a few Panasonic models had the same issue (BIOS upgrade on the PC fixed a couple but not in my case).

They shipped me a GeForce GTX 285, but my PS only had one of the required 2 additional PCI-E 6 pin cables, so they are sending me more. All of it is gratis, with no returns of components required! Now that's an upgrade I can deal with.

Obviously, the 360 watt PC is a light supply to start. I relayed my concern that the 80 wall to 205 watt video card jump was a concern, and the senior tech (stepped up the India food chain a bit) told me he knew of several boxes with this configuration without problem.

My plan is to test the card and verify the display works. If it does, step backward to the ATI until I can get a larger PS installed. If it doesn't work for my display set-up, then ebay here I come to the auction off the card and suffer without it on my HDTV (but I am hoping this ISN'T the case!).

In the past, Dell had made configuration of the PS to be unit specific on several desktop platforms. This made upgrading the PS tricky. Does anyone know of a PS for the 435 Studio XPS of 550 Watt or higher that will function plug and play?

bigly

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Ok.

Yesterday I test it with my 500W psu.
But when i test the card with 3dmark06 suddenly psu was shutdowned.

and then I have buy a new power "Thermaltake Toughpower 850W" and now it has no problem.

thanks anyway.

G

Hey im thinking of bying a 520w, for the xfx 5770, Cos the one i have now is at 300, and when i start i get the no video output message and then black screen, i have connected the 6pin, But the fan is going verry slow so, will 520w be okey? They say minmum of 450w.

The PSU

+3.3V - 22 A 4 x 4 pin 4 x 15-pin 1 x power, 6-pin PCI Express 1 x power, 8 pin +12 V
+5V - 15 A
+12V1 - 14 A
+12V2 - 16 A
-12V - 0.3 A
+5VSB - 2.5 A

The Graphic card REC: * PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0 compliant motherboard with one X16 graphics slot
* 450 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
* Certified power supplies are recommended.
* Minimum 1GB of system memory

Now here is the site for the PSU if you want the whole info. http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=500559&view=detailed#ProductTabs