Ialmnt5 sys stuck in continuous loop

vnayak15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
my vaio vgn-fj78gp laptop is stuck in ialmnt5.sys continuous loop.after booting in safe mode and disabling the intel mobile 915gms video driver i can boot normal in vga compatible mode. tried installing all sorts of drivers old and new + vaio original drivers. same problem. any suggestions?

Solution
i hate to say it but you might be looking a a hardware death you seam to have done all the right stuff and you still have the problem.
dont know how old your laptop is but you may want to see if you have any warranty left

Apparantly you can still work in windows, as you have been installing all sorts of drivers. I would install the chip set drivers, uninstall the current device driver, then reboot.

vnayak15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Thanks for suggestion. have already tried installing the chipset drivers, old as well as updated from intel.by the way the vaio original video drivers are nothing but a version of intell chipset drivers.attempted installing drivers manually as well as automatic(by clicking exe file).thoruoghly uinstalled previous drivers before installing different ones.result zero.for ur info, the drivers shown are of two types with same name.i simply disable the one(first one) with function 0 as mentioned in driver details.then everything works normal. however i cannot switch to external display. hope this clue helps.

vnayak15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

yep. rebooted after every uninstall.formatted 4 times and reinstalled xp pro and each time installed different type of drivers (intel original,intel updated, vaio original,vaio updated) all result in exactly same error.dunno what started the problem but i am sure one day it worked ok with proper shut down no new installations that day.the next morning upon boot i get this bsod with ialmnt5.sys error. booted in safe mode , disabled the first instance of video driver, reboot and fine.however i cannot switch to ext monitor with fn.throws error something like 'lcd only' or something to the effect.can it be a video chip related (hardware issue)?. i sure am dead tired for now.

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
i hate to say it but you might be looking a a hardware death you seam to have done all the right stuff and you still have the problem.
dont know how old your laptop is but you may want to see if you have any warranty left

Solution

vnayak15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Well , I was afraid of this. may be related to video chip integrated. by the way the laptop is 7 yrs old.still tried my best to elimate software issues. Thanks a lot for all of u guys in guiding me in the right direction.just for kicks I
asked our neighbourhood laptop fixer yesterday and he claimed that he may have to reflow or replace the video bga chip and would cost me a bomb.I thanked him profusely . me think, it's still working fine for my needs with satisfactory resolution, and I don't need external monitor. What say?