Sony laptop won't boot up

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 1:31:28 AM

We have a Sony vio pcg-fxa53 model notebook. when we push the power
button, it turns on and you can hear the hard drive spinning and the
fan starts...like everything is normal, but then it stops and just
sits there.
the only light on is the green power light. No battery light, no hard
drive light, nothing. The screen stays black.

this also happened once last month. My wife said she just tried it
again hours later and it worked. But now, it hasn't turned on yet.

Right now, while it's plugged in, the battery light isn't even on,
like it's not charging. Earlier today, the battery light was on, it
was flashing like it was charging.

Any thoughts?

More about : sony laptop boot

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 3:48:17 PM

fantabular wrote:

> We have a Sony vio pcg-fxa53 model notebook. when we push the power
> button, it turns on and you can hear the hard drive spinning and the
> fan starts...like everything is normal, but then it stops and just
> sits there.
> the only light on is the green power light. No battery light, no hard
> drive light, nothing. The screen stays black.
>

> this also happened once last month. My wife said she just tried it
> again hours later and it worked. But now, it hasn't turned on yet.
>
> Right now, while it's plugged in, the battery light isn't even on,
> like it's not charging. Earlier today, the battery light was on, it
> was flashing like it was charging.
>
> Any thoughts?

Can you get into the BIOS screen??
(start hitting ESC as soon as you power on)
Doesn't the battery light stop flashing when it's completely charged??
I'm certain it does on my Vaio but I haven't used the battery in a year.
It could be that the HDD or OS has died but you would often get an error
message but not necessarily.
See if you can get into the BIOS first.
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 3:48:18 PM

> Can you get into the BIOS screen??
> (start hitting ESC as soon as you power on)

Nope, I couldn't get in to the Bios.

> Doesn't the battery light stop flashing when it's completely charged??

Yeah, I think that's what it means. Or is it charging when it's
blinking and it stops when it's full. Not sure...

Is it stuck in hybernation mode or something?
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 7:08:09 PM

fantabular wrote:

>>Can you get into the BIOS screen??
>>(start hitting ESC as soon as you power on)
>

> Nope, I couldn't get in to the Bios.

Does the keyboard respond at all?
Caps lock for eg??(probably not)

>>Doesn't the battery light stop flashing when it's completely charged??
>

> Yeah, I think that's what it means. Or is it charging when it's
> blinking and it stops when it's full. Not sure...

When LED is blinking battery is charging.

> Is it stuck in hybernation mode or something?

Dunno,doesn't sound like it.
Is it still under warranty??
If so back to dealer/Sony etc.
If the warranty has expired you could try removing the HDD and then
accessing the bios,if that doesn't work(no access to BIOS) you have a
problem,could be power related or something fried and dead.
OR try thowing the rescue discs into the CD drive and see what
happens,presuming there are no really crucial files you need to back up
first,in which case you would need to remove the HDD and transfer to
another PC somehow.(can suggest options if neccessary)
Don't open the computer up if the warranty is valid instead consult
Sony/dealership,place of purchase etc
HTH ;-)

a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 7:08:10 PM

> Does the keyboard respond at all?
> Caps lock for eg??(probably not)

No, it doesn't respond.

> >>Doesn't the battery light stop flashing when it's completely charged??

I don't know if it's all the way charged up. When the battery isn't in
the notebook, it still doesn't work.

> Is it still under warranty??

I'll check. I doubt it though. We purchased it two years ago.

> OR try thowing the rescue discs into the CD drive and see what
> happens,presuming there are no really crucial files you need to back up
> first,in which case you would need to remove the HDD and transfer to
> another PC somehow

I've already tried inserting the system recovery cd and it didn't
respond. I also inserted a floppy disc and it never even booted to
that. Usually, if I leave a floppy in there, it gives the message "not
a valid system disc" or something to that effect, but nothing now.

What about creating a start up disk?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 5:01:22 AM

fantabular wrote:

>>Does the keyboard respond at all?
>>Caps lock for eg??(probably not)
>

> No, it doesn't respond.

> I don't know if it's all the way charged up. When the battery isn't in
> the notebook, it still doesn't work.
>

>>Is it still under warranty??
>

> I'll check. I doubt it though. We purchased it two years ago.

Just checked most are 12 months unless you take up the extended warranty.

>>OR try thowing the rescue discs into the CD drive and see what
>>happens,presuming there are no really crucial files you need to back up
>>first,in which case you would need to remove the HDD and transfer to
>>another PC somehow
>

> I've already tried inserting the system recovery cd and it didn't
> respond. I also inserted a floppy disc and it never even booted to
> that. Usually, if I leave a floppy in there, it gives the message "not
> a valid system disc" or something to that effect, but nothing now.
>
> What about creating a start up disk?

Sounds like it's beyond that TBH.
Does it fail to boot in the same way from battery and power supply??
Time to take the HDD out and see if the PC is working or anything is loose.
Small screwdriver handy??
http://www.divideby0.com/photos/vaio-f280/
(this one was identical to my Vaio-PCGFX502)
And-
http://tinyurl.com/2ool4
Oh yeah!!!
Remove and refit the memory,could be worth trying.
If there are two sticks of RAM and refitting does nothign try one at a
time in alternate holders.
HTH.
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 5:08:52 PM

> Time to take the HDD out and see if the PC is working or anything is loose.
> Small screwdriver handy??

Ok, I'll give it a shot and see if I notice anything. I worked with
Gateway for almost 4 years, so hopefully that experience will come in
handy.
I've never worked on the insides of a laptop before.
March 3, 2009 4:39:15 PM

I am having the same problem with my Via Laptop. Did you find a solution yet?
March 3, 2009 7:45:42 PM

Motherboard probably.
If you have a voltmeter you can test your AC adapter to make sure its outputting the proper voltage. If its working (which it probably is) and you see no light on the computer when you plug it in then it is probably motherboard related.
March 4, 2009 12:02:37 PM

wonderingwhatis said:
Motherboard probably.
If you have a voltmeter you can test your AC adapter to make sure its outputting the proper voltage. If its working (which it probably is) and you see no light on the computer when you plug it in then it is probably motherboard related.

Thank you, I kind of figured that was the problem.
!