serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
hi iam a new member at toms i want to overclock my pc so need the best air cooler.

My configuration is
amd phenom x6 1090t
asus crosshair iv formula
asus hd 6870
cooler master haf 932
i curently have a 600 w psu not of noteworthy company.
Should i upgrade it

Supposedly the best air cooler is the Thermalright Silverarrow. However I believe it is more expensive then the ones listed above...as well it is massive.

Edit: It seems to be very hard to find as well...

lldsgt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
id go with the hyper 212 EVO, i hear of issues with the 212+ where the pipes dont make good contact, for $5 more get the EVO, it will be worth it

cbrunnem

Distinguished

he didnt ask for the best heat sink for the money, he asked for the best heatsink and a 30 dollar hsf will not be anywhere close to the top air cooler.

OP the best cooler you can get that has good clearance and availability is the noctua nh-d14. it will be at least 10*c cooler then the hyper 212+ thus helping you overclock higher.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

He asked for the BEST cooler, not the better option. also at 4.5 a i7 with a 212 will run about 75-80*c. thats getting higher then even toms recommends but with a nh-d14 you run about 65* leaving more room to push it if you want to go even higher.

The difference between a 212 and a nh-d14 with a 1090t will be even larger because it is a 125w cpu to the SB 95w.