rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi! I have an older Iomega external hard drive (7200 RPM - 320 GB). The problem is the port
for the USB cord. My cord doesn't sit properly in the port.. it sticks out about 1/4" and because of that
it doesn't engage the hard drive to my computer. I tried different cords and none of them sit properly
within the Iomega USB port. It's apparently an Iomega defect. I'm way out of warranty and know I
need a new one. The problem is I don't know how to get the info off my OLD one to put onto a new one.
Any suggestions?
Thanks - Marilyn

Solution
Yes it helps! You have a SATA hard drive. Now we can combine the data transfer along with the new 1 TB external drive.

I do not recommend that you go out and buy external drives that are available on the market from Seagate, WD, or others. The reason is that I like to see a fan attached to the enclosure.

Instead, get one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173043 (I have three of these for backup purposes).

When you get the enclosure, install your 320 GB disk from your iOmega into this enclosure. Connect it to a computer and transfer the data from the disk.

At this point you may leave the 320 GB disk in this new external enclosure, or swap it out for a 1 TB hard disk. This is the 1 TB hard disk that I...
Marilyn, welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

One way to get the data off the drive is to install it in a different external enclosure. Make sure you get the appropriate PATA or SATA enclosure.

Another way is to install this disk as a 2nd. hard drive in your computer. Here too the installation is different for a PATA disk and a SATA disk.

If you need more specific help, tell us what type of hard disk you have in the external enclosure. Since you cannot mount this disk, you may have to read off the information by opening the enclosure (hope the label will tell you this).

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi Ubrales,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I'm pretty computer savvy, but unfortunately, I don't know that much about what you were referring to in your suggestions. I have an iMAC - one of those really nice ones that has no tower. I wouldn't even know how to begin to install the external HD into my MAC.

OK - I did open the enclosure (I'm way out of warranty, so the little disclaimer was kinda moot. Once again, the workings of it were too "techie" for me. How does someone "read off the information" once the hard drive is opened?

I really appreciate your help. I'm a graphic designer and keep all my old jobs and info on the Iomega. It's my 2nd one - I ran out
of GIGS from my first one.

Take care - again, thanks~!- Marilynrossisaacs@hotmail.com

Do not attempt to install the drive into the iMAC.

http://www.directron.com/patasata.html - Fig. 1 shows the data cable differences between PATA and SATA. By looking at the drive (inside the enclosure) you will be able to decide which of the two you have.

If you have taken the hard drive out of the enclosure, just read off the label. Do not attempt to open the drive (hard disk).

Let me know whether it is a PATA disk or a SATA disk, and we can work out an appropriate least-cost solution.

Step two will be to get a 1 TB (or larger) external drive with the latest components.

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi again Ubrales,

It says:

SATA power SATA data Jumper Block

on the outside of the actual drive. Does that help?
... and yes, I do plan to get a 1TB drive after I figure out how to get the data on to it.

Thanks again - Marilyn

Yes it helps! You have a SATA hard drive. Now we can combine the data transfer along with the new 1 TB external drive.

I do not recommend that you go out and buy external drives that are available on the market from Seagate, WD, or others. The reason is that I like to see a fan attached to the enclosure.

Instead, get one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173043 (I have three of these for backup purposes).

When you get the enclosure, install your 320 GB disk from your iOmega into this enclosure. Connect it to a computer and transfer the data from the disk.

At this point you may leave the 320 GB disk in this new external enclosure, or swap it out for a 1 TB hard disk. This is the 1 TB hard disk that I recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

When you get the enclosure there is some minor assembly involved. Easy to assemble by following the directions.

Two of my externals have 1 TB WD disks whereas the third has a 1.5 TB Seagate disk. All three have been in service for periods ranging from 6 months to 20 months. The 80 mm fan keeps the drive cool.

Solution

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi - please forgive my ignorance... I just looked up newegg... not quite sure I would know what to do with it when I get it. Does my existing external drive go INTO the newegg?...and then I put in a new 1TB? The price seemed pretty reasonable. I assume it works on MACs. OK - simply put... is it hard to do?
Like I mentioned earlier - I'm pretty good on computer stuff (I've even put in additional RAM and ports in our old computers) - and if the Newegg product is something I can handle, I will give it a try.
Thanks! - Marilyn

The hard disk from your existing external drive goes into the new Rosewill (Newegg) enclosure.

It will work exactly as your iOmega did.

With your knowledge of opening the computer case and installing RAM, you have the expertise to assemble the Rosewill external enclosure and install the hard disk inside it. The instructions are quite clear.

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Ubrales - you one heckofa person!
Thanks so much for all your help - I was pulling my hair out this afternoon when I was unable to use my Iomega - I will DEFINITELY buy a Newegg and give it a try!
Have a great weekend! - Marilyn

The last Rosewill external enclosure was assembled by my 12-year old kid after he read the instructions. I just watched and encouraged him. He assembled the unit and installed a 1 TB hard disk. Now that's his external backup for his computer (laptop with a dock station).

Thank you! You too have a great Labor Day weekend!

Here are the items once again:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173043 (USB 2.0 and eSATA cables - use either one)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 (Western Digital 1 TB hard disk)

You need one of each.

BTW, I am going to get another set of these during this coming Black Friday sale (Nov 25th.).

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi Ubrales,
Just ordered my Newegg enclosure!!!! I took apart my Iomega and got the hard drive out really easily!!!! The link you had sent me for Newegg had a video attached to it with directions on how to install the old drive into the new one. yup! I think I can do it!
Thanks soooooo much!!!!! - Marilyn

Great! You will probably have it on Friday ready for the weekend assembly.

Hand start the screws to avoid cross-threading. Line-up the parts with the hand started screws. Then when you fasten the screws do it in an alternating (zig zag) fashion as evenly as possible. And there is no need to over tighten the screws. A little more than finger tight will work.

Good luck and if you need us we will be here.

I forgot to add (actually I assumed) that you need a wear an anti-static wrist band, or periodically touch the metal part of the computer case as you are working on the external enclosure and the hard disk.

Handle the hard disk only by the edges, and do not touch the exposed electronic circuit board.

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi Ubrales!

Thanks for the head's up! I do have an anti-static wristband (from the last time I played around with my old computer!)... and I'll touch the hard drive only by its edges.

It just came today. We got home late so I think I'll wait until tomorrow to install the drive.

Take care - g'night - Marilyn

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi again - just installed the Iomega HD into the Newegg one - pretty easy to do, but the icon for the external drive is NOT showing up on my MAC desktop. With all other external drives, including little flash drives, as soon as I plug it in the USB port, a little hard drive icon appears. Any suggestions? Also... their screws were funky. They sent several which don't fit anywhere.
Take care -
Marilyn

I can tell you how to do this in Windows. The MAC may be similar.

You need to initialize (format) the hard drive. Then re-start the computer and the system will see the drive and it will be ready for use.

Screws: 4 for the top aluminum cover - 4 for the hard disk - 2 for the plastic side covers; screws in the front of the unit.

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
I had 2 screws left over (after doing the 4+4+2) and the ones left over didn't fit into
any of the holes. We put up a shed in our backyard 18 years ago when we moved in.
After we were all finished, I found a sheet of clear washers, obviously meant to go under the sheet metal screws. Instead of balking (my initial reaction) I got a few tubes of caulk and caulked the screws inside and outside the shed. So it always kinda "scares" me when parts are left over after a job. Hopefully they were just "extras" Rosewill packed in the box.
Take care - Marilyn

4+4+2 are the correct number of screws. In my case, we had 1 HDD screw left over (extra). Sometimes, the same bag of screws are used for more than one sub-assembly in order to reduce SKUs and inventory costs. And don't forget that some workers who put these hardware bags together can't count!

rossisaacs

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi Ubrales! You've been a Godsend with my external hard drive... I have a techie question. Is it possible to disable certain hot keys in a new Toshiba laptop? Some we use, like Control S for saving and Control P for Printing, Control A, X, C, V.... those we do use. There are tons we don't that kinda "mess up" a word processing document if we unintentionally touch the keys. Is there a way to "Selectively" disable some of the hot keys we DON'T use??? Thanks! - Marilyn