Possible Win 7 / DX9 Problem

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have a perfectly stable Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit desktop with an ATI 5850 GPU running the current WHQL drivers. This week I decided that I REALLY wanted to play Europa Universalis 3 (EU3 for short) and tossed in the DVD. It installed fine, but gave an error indicating that d3dx9_35.dll was not present. A quick Google search revealed that I would need to install the DX9 run-time distributable from Microsoft. This particular package was listed as being applicable for a wide range of Windows... including Windows 7. This seemed to run counter to everything I knew... DX11 SHOULD be backwards compatible with DX9, but in this instance it wasn't. So I installed DX9 on Windows 7 (yes, this seems VERY alien/wrong to me) and it worked.

So what's my question? Well... I guess here it is... did this in some way hamper my performance? The reason I ask that is that games that my system should play flawlessly have a tick in them now. Gaming at 1680 X 1050 with all details maxed, I get an average FPS of 60 in Company of Heroes but there is a repeating stutter... and even in EU3 (a graphically simple game) there seems to be some visible stuttering as I scroll across the map. I'm debating reloading my system clean (hell, I just installed Win7 this week!) just to go back and establish some sort of gaming benchmark... but I just can't help but think that the DX9 install on Win7 has caused me some sort of performance problem.

Any insight or pointers into this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Solution
Well i did notice when running the new DX 11 benchmark that it ran noticably slower in DX9 than it did in DX10 or 11. Now i have a DX10.1 card while yours is DX11 native so im thinking it could be down to some sort of latency issue with W7 running in DX9. I didnt need to install anything extra to run it though and i have run DX9 only games as wel but didnt benchmark any or have any noticable issues with playability.
I dont know for sure what your issue is but it seems very odd that you should need to install anything to use DX9. Wait for a few more supplies but personally i would go for the re-install.

Mactronix
Well i did notice when running the new DX 11 benchmark that it ran noticably slower in DX9 than it did in DX10 or 11. Now i have a DX10.1 card while yours is DX11 native so im thinking it could be down to some sort of latency issue with W7 running in DX9. I didnt need to install anything extra to run it though and i have run DX9 only games as wel but didnt benchmark any or have any noticable issues with playability.
I dont know for sure what your issue is but it seems very odd that you should need to install anything to use DX9. Wait for a few more supplies but personally i would go for the re-install.

Mactronix

Solution