Sign in with
Your question

I7 860 Failing Prime95 at Stock :(

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2009 2:59:09 PM

This is my second PC build, and it was working when I last checked in on Friday. Since then, I have updated the BIOS, but the settings are exactly the same. Before, I ran Prime95 for about an hour without any problems. Now, as soon as I start to run Prime95, it fails.

I haven't overclocked at all yet, everything is stock. I have my memory put into XMP mode in the BIOS, but I've manually set the timings to 8-8-8-24 (it seems not to get those timings if I don't).

I have:
PC Power and Cooling 750W SILENCER PSU,
Intel Core i7 860
Asus P7P55D EVO running BIOS 0711 (09/24/2009)
Cooler Master Hyper212 Plus
G. Skill 4 GB Ram DDR3 1600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
XFX Radeon HD 5850

Personally, I think it might be a memory issue, but it was working fine before with the old BIOS. I can't downgrade because the ASUS tool will not let me.

Please Help!

EDIT: I managed to downgrade the BIOS!! It works!! I'm sure when I updated, some settings changed or something. I'll write everything down, reupdate BIOS and go from there when I have the time.
October 22, 2009 4:57:23 PM

How has your testing gone? When you get a sec please let us know what you've found. I'm tracking some issues as well and am trying to keep up with other people's issues and resolutions to see what I might learn or contribute. I'm running an i7 860 running with similar RAM (but CAS 9's) on a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 board.
m
l
!