Sign in with
Your question

2 120GB in Raid 0 vs. Single 240?

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2011 3:40:22 AM

Hey guys,

I'm just wanting some advice on dual 120 gb ssd's in raid 0 vs. a single 240 gb. I've read that you can't use TRIM with raid 0. How much will that hurt performance? If you were buying in my situation which ssd would you buy? Thanks for the input.

More about : 120gb raid single 240

a c 523 G Storage
September 4, 2011 4:16:50 AM

If you lose a drive in RAID-0 you lose all of your data. So if you decide to go that route make sure you have a separate external (or internal) drive to use exclusively for backup.

I would suggest any SandForce controller based SSD if you are going to RAID SSDs.
SandForce uses pretty aggressive idle Garbage Collection algorithms to restore/maintain drive performance. All you have to do is “Log off” from Windows before you go to sleep once or twice a week.
m
l
September 4, 2011 3:13:13 PM

Well I shut my computer down every night or even during the day when I'm not using it anyways. Or does it need to be logged off but still powered on? Also, what about using 1 128 gb drive for Windows and all other apps and another 128 gb drive for all games? Has anyone ever done anything like that? Are there any studies or reviews out there looking at the long term performance of ssd's in raid 0 without trim vs. a single with trim?
m
l
Related resources
a c 523 G Storage
September 4, 2011 4:47:51 PM

thebski said:
Well I shut my computer down every night or even during the day when I'm not using it anyways. Or does it need to be logged off but still powered on?

You need to Log Off, not Shut Down. When you Shut Down all Windows programs and processes are closed and your pc is powered off. When you Log Off all Windows programs are closed and most Windows processes; and you are returned to the Windows Login screen.

Also, what about using 1 128 gb drive for Windows and all other apps and another 128 gb drive for all games? Has anyone ever done anything like that? said:
Also, what about using 1 128 gb drive for Windows and all other apps and another 128 gb drive for all games? Has anyone ever done anything like that?

Yes, that’s a good option also; nothing wrong doing it that way.

Are there any studies or reviews out there looking at the long term performance of ssd's in raid 0 without trim vs. a single with trim? said:
Are there any studies or reviews out there looking at the long term performance of ssd's in raid 0 without trim vs. a single with trim?

That I don’t know; but if you have an SSD with good GC (like 3rd generation OCZ drives) then you don’t need TRIM to maintain drive performance.
m
l
September 4, 2011 5:48:02 PM

thebski said:
Hey guys,

I'm just wanting some advice on dual 120 gb ssd's in raid 0 vs. a single 240 gb. I've read that you can't use TRIM with raid 0. How much will that hurt performance? If you were buying in my situation which ssd would you buy? Thanks for the input.

you should raid 0. the speed is amazing. You lose trim feature but some ssd have pretty good garbage collector.
Crucial M4 is one of the best SSD w/ good garbage collector. here's mine

m
l
a c 523 G Storage
September 4, 2011 6:03:37 PM

danttruong said:
you should raid 0. the speed is amazing. You lose trim feature but some ssd have pretty good garbage collector.
Crucial M4 is one of the best SSD w/ good garbage collector. here's mine

Sweet! Do you have write cache enabled on that raid in Device Manager? Your Sequential Writes seem a little low.
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
September 4, 2011 6:05:30 PM

Here is a vote for a single larger ssd.

1) Trim is important. As the drive gets filled, trim can release deleted space with a command instead of a read/rewrite operation which will eventually bog down the drive.
2) Synthetic benchmarks are nice, and raid-0 shows well. Unfortunately, we rarely do the type of sequential operations that synthetic benchmarks do. The best use for a SSD os for the OS which mostly does small reads and writes. Raid-0 is of no use there,
3) A larger SSD will have more underlying nand chips. That allows the drive to be able to read more chips in parallel. Sort of an internal raid-0 if you will.
4) From actual experience: I had a Intel X25-M 80 gb drive. I wanted a larger single 160gb image, so I bought a second one an ran raid-0. It ran OK.
Then, I replaced it with a single X25-M 160gb drive, and performance was equally good, if not better. That was my perception, not any synthetic benchmarks.
5) As a rule, two 120gb drives will cost more than a single 240gb drive.
m
l
September 4, 2011 8:50:37 PM

Well I have a unique constraint that most people probably aren't dealing with. I can use some school funds to upgrade my computer and as long as the parts are under $300 I can keep them. Anything over $300 and it becomes property of the school and I must give it back when I'm done with school. That kind of eliminates a 240 GB drive because it will be 400-500. I would just do it that way but I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize 240 GB of space while keeping each individual component under $300.
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
September 4, 2011 9:52:22 PM

Just get one SSD for the OS and apps. Use the rest for a good 1tb hard drive for storage and overflow, or, perhaps, a second monitor.
m
l
!