Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hyper 212+ fanless/heat & silence related questions

Last response: in Overclocking
February 10, 2012 11:08:42 PM

I recently got an Antec Solo II. I had a 300, but it wasn't quiet. Upon loading up the Solo, I realized that one of the big probs was that my PSU is too loud! Arrgghh! It's an Antec 550W modular PSU, and I can't bust on it for making noise. It wasn't designed to be a silent PSU, and it's not really that loud anyway. It's just audible, and I don't wanna hear it. Point is, Seasonic fanless in my near future.

In thinking about the various things I could do to help with the silence factor, I thought about the fan on my heatsink, Cooler Master Hyper212+. I wondered what would happen if I take the fan off? I did, and to my surprise the CPU(Q9550) temps didn't go above 50 degrees. I was only listening to some tunes and cruising around online a little. What if the CPU was actually doing something worthwhile? I ripped a DVD and then started to convert it to AVI. In about 10 minutes I looked, and the CPU temp went to 73 degrees! EEK!

Well, the fan that comes with the Solo II is a TrueQuiet fan, and I only had it on the low setting, 600RPM. I put the fan on the higher setting which is 1100-1160RPM, and after another 10 minutes, my CPU temp is 59 degrees! This is with only the 1 fan in there. I don't think that the PSU fan doing anything for the rest of the comp because the fan is pointing up through the vent in the top of the case.

This is all leading to the following questions:

1. When I get the fanless PSU, are the temps going to get way out of control if I leave this set up this way?

2. Would simply adding another TrueQuiet fan to the front of the case for intake be enough?

3. Why on earth am I getting 1100RPM+ out of the fan since it's rated for 600RPM or 1000RPM?

I suppose I should also mention that the access to the temps and fan speeds is from the ASRock OC tuner program that came with my mobo. I realize this isn't going to be 100% accurate, but is this program just totally janky and giving me false info?

In the interest of revealing all heat producing elements, I'll give the obligatory list:

Q9550 with Hyper212+ (no OC)
P43 board
6GB of plain jane DDR2800 (no heatspreaders)
Antec 550W Basiq modular PSU
Sapphire 4550 (fanless)
LG DVD drive
WD black 750GB for C drive
(2) 1.5TB Samsung F2 spinpoints for data drives
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2012 2:47:51 AM

1. The Seasonic fanless PSU should not add serious heat to your case interior if you mount it so the exhaust is toward the top vent.

2. I run a similar system and I like 2 120mm intake fans on the front, 1 in front of the (edit: Hard drive) cage and 1 occupying 3 of the 5.25" bays. Plus the 120mm on my Hyper 212+ blowing toward the case rear. Plus a 120mm exhaust fan on the upper rear. You could try your TruQuiet fans. The main thing is to move cooler incoming air over the heat-producing components and out the exhaust.

3. Good question - maybe yours is a really, really good fan.
m
l
February 11, 2012 3:00:55 AM

In general it takes something like the Thermalright Macho (which is an originally passive heatsink, has a quiet fan, is very large, and sells for less than the passive version) to do silent/near silent cooling.
You can change out the Hyper 212+ fan for a quieter one.

Antec fans are not known for low noise either.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 183 K Overclocking
February 11, 2012 3:46:44 AM

Add a Thermalright X-Silent or Enermax T.B.Silence to the 212+.
I have a 212+ and agree the fan is too loud probably mid 30db.
Have 2 x 120mm X-Silent on my cooler and i can't hear them = under 20db
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9652/fan-609/Thermalr...
Enermax T.B.SILENCE 120mm PWM Twister Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Nice and cheap atm = sleeved cables and fans detach for cleaning.
I'd be tempted to add one of these fans as a front intake = to cool the 3 hdds
Both fans are excellent and actually silent when set-up properly.
Two very good fans imo.
When my Antec Tri-cools die they will all be replaced with TB's.
February 11, 2012 5:15:13 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

I didn't know about the Enermax fans, I was looking at Noctua ones maybe. Y'know, the ugly brown ones? But they are rated very high in their abilities. The enermax one is significantly cheaper. I will go with your recommend.

Thanks guys :) 
m
l
February 11, 2012 5:56:23 PM

creamyPB said:
Why on earth am I getting 1100RPM+ out of the fan since it's rated for 600RPM or 1000RPM?

The fan speed spec probably says something like 600-1000RPM +/- 10%, which is quite common.
m
l
March 11, 2012 3:56:49 AM

Could you tell us which CM212+ replacement fan you went with and how it is?

I'm baffled why the stock one is as loud as it is. Above, it was said that it's probably in the mid-30's dB @ 1100 rpm. Mine runs at 700 rpm, more or less, and is still loud. And how could it possibly be anywhere near the mid-30's when the spec is this:

600 - 2000 R.P.M.
13 - 32 dBA

Surely at 700 R.P.M., even 1100, it's less than 20, right? Yet if it is, we're not supposed to be able to hear it. I be confused.

I actually want to get away from a variable-speed fan, since almost worse than the din is the change in pitch of the din for extremely minor and brief uptakes in CPU. If it needs to go faster in the summer, I'm more than happy to break into the case and turn it up a little bit manually. Until then, it's completely unnecessary.
m
l
March 11, 2012 1:37:47 PM

Hey there! I used an Enermax TB fan that davcon recommended. I can't hear it, and my temps are 35-40 with it on the lowest setting (set up through my BIOS). That stock fan is good for moving air, but certainly not <30dBA. They be scammin' us! Still, you can hardly fault them for a $30 HSF.

The TB has sleeved cables, and it has no LED. The cable itself is actually quite long, so I ended up wrapping it around the fan's perimeter. My only other alternative was to scrunch it up and have that near the blades and/or RAM. And the blades of the fan are removable so you can wash them too. I was a little miffed at the egg for not giving the proper specs for the fan - it is a PWM fan and 4pin, but was listed as a 3pin. I bought a 3 to 4pin adapter that I didn't need.
m
l
March 11, 2012 11:03:36 PM

Thanks for the info. It sure would be nice to know what the real specs are on the CM212+ so there's some basis for comparison. I usually just take them at face-value, which I guess is a mistake.

The Enermax does look good, though the comments about the magnet are a little concerning, and since it's PWM I don't think I'll have much control over it with my Intel board (at least I haven't figure out how to set anything but duty cycle yet). If the specs are to be believed, it's 8 dBA at the lowest (500) rpm. The fixed-speed Thermalright (though it says can be adjusted via an apparently optional fan control device) is 19 dBA at 1000 rpm, which just makes it under the cutoff. That may be the one better-suited for me.
m
l
March 13, 2012 7:12:07 AM

The spec for the Blademaster fan on the CM-212 is here: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6622

The spec for the CM-212 EVO (the Hyper-212 isn't on the site any more) is here: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6741

It looks like the EVO uses different fans from the Hyper-212, but they're both in the same ballpark. My experience is that the fans have been audible, but not very. When stress-testing the CPU, I'd hear the fans kick in but under normal usage they rarely exceeded 1,000rpm. I would say you've either got a faulty fan and/or a faulty fan rpm reading, or a case which needs the ventilation improved. The Blademaster isn't an inherently noisy fan unless its ramped right up, and if it is it's because the CPU is kicking out serious heat.
m
l
March 13, 2012 9:22:45 AM

I don't like the stock 212+ fan at all. I had a similar complaint with mine and immediately replaced mine with a Cougar. If you care for a nice cable and fairly quiet operation, this is the fan to get. If you are going for absolute silence, I recommend the Scythe Slipstreams. I'd get the PWM version as a CPU cooler. I currently use 2 800rpms as my front and rear fans and they are inaudible at 800rpm.

When idling, my setup is almost completely silent. Under 100% load, my cpu (i3-2120) doesn't get pass 50C.

I would recommend the Seasonic X650 or Corsair AX650 PSU. They are exactly the same just rebadged. The fans don't even turn on under 20% load. I have the 750W and I have yet to hear the fan in my already silent system.
m
l
March 21, 2012 12:27:41 AM

Best answer selected by creamyPB.
m
l
!