New DDR3 RAM running at 668mhz??

G

Hi.

I checked my pc with CPU-Z and I noticed that my DRAM frequency is only at 668mhz? Is this my actual ram speed or am I looking at wrong numbers?

I am using G.skill Ripjaws 4GB Dual Channel 1600 DDR3 kit (2x2GB) Motherboard is MSI p55 GD65

From the other topics I've read about ram speed it may have something to do with my CPU, I am using a core i7 860 stock 2.8ghz

How can I readjust my ram speed safely?

Windows Experience index gives 7.5 to both cpu and ram

OS is Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Your RAM is fine. Why?

1- Your mobo only support 1600 with OC, that in your case is set all the specifications of your RAM manually in the BIOS.
2- DDR means double-data-rate, the double means that you need multiply by 2 the speed that CPU-Z report, in this case, 2x668MHz=1336MHz that is the normal 1333MHz RAM.
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Your RAM is fine. Why?

1- Your mobo only support 1600 with OC, that in your case is set all the specifications of your RAM manually in the BIOS.
2- DDR means double-data-rate, the double means that you need multiply by 2 the speed that CPU-Z report, in this case, 2x668MHz=1336MHz that is the normal 1333MHz RAM.

Solution
G

Thanks, if I overclock to 1600 will games (crysis warhead) benefit from extra speed? and how can I do it safely?

Well, you can try with the 1600, but be sure that are the correct specifications or you can get many BSoD. If you set the timings to run your RAM at 1600, use prime95 for 3 or more hours to test the stability of the rig.

But, I think that you won't see a big difference between 1333 and 1600.