Sign in with
Your question

Want to build something new for Win7 with SLI could use advice

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2009 7:34:10 PM

OK, here's the deal - I want to build something new for Windows 7. It will be used for everyday use, graphic design and some gaming.

I don't need a powerhouse, I just want to have some fun building a decent computer.

I have two Nvidia GTX 260's - so I was thinking of going for an SLi build.

all the computers I have built have been AMD - Last one was a few years ago, and it's just a Dual Core - so I this time around I want to go QUAD.

I have heard a few horror stories with SLi and AMD. I'm not opposed to INTEL, I don't like the price...

So I would take advice on both AMD and INTEL - I know AMD chips - I don't know INTEL chips.

I'm trying to keep this a modest build - I'm not going to go after an i7 - looking at cpu's around the $150 mark.

The motherboard is the part that I'm most stumped on - especially if I go the INTEL route. Again, I would like to keep it around the $150 mark on the board, too. Especially since I would like to go SLi. I have used ASUS and Gigabyte with varried success. I have heard good things about MSI boards, but have also heard they can be very tempermental with RAM.

SO - to recap - looking for some advice, direction and recomendations... preferably something you have had success with..

Quad Chip (around $150.00) AMD or Intel
SLi Board (around $150.00)
RAM - whatever would work best with the CPU and Board you suggest

Thanks for the time
Mike

More about : build win7 sli advice

October 20, 2009 7:40:13 PM

I wouldn't do SLI on an AMD build. The problem is, I wouldn't recommend an SLI LGA 775 socket motherboard either since Nvidia Nforce chipsets are sub-par. That leaves the i5. This combo is slightly above your budget, but what I'd suggest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $349.98 (Intel i5 750 + Asus P7P55D PRO combo)

I would pair the above combo with this RAM.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail $89.99
m
l
!