Is it possible?

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Currently I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 alongside with Windows 7. Is it possible to add 10GB usable to C: or another paritition? Example, my C: have 97GB of free space from 132GB, and I want the 10GB usable space (drive K:) to be added to C:. Is it possible without formatting the hdd?

If it is possible, please give me a link for the software. Thank you.

4745454b

Titan
Ubuntu can't do it? I know Linux has some pretty powerful drive tools to help you set it up. Take a look at the "ultimate boot CD", one of those tools should do it. You are looking for any program like partition magic.

Edit: They aren't fool proof. Make sure you back up any important data as data loss can occur.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Thanks, errr the 10GB usable space actually from the Ubuntu that was installed alongside with windows 7. So, I deleted the partition but now the 10GB remains free. The original space for the C: is 132GB, but still shows 132GB. Im very confuse why is it still 132GB if the 10GB was separated from the C:. If it is really being separated from the C:, the C: must be 122Gb right? So now I want the 10Gb back to C:. For now I have 6 partitions. I don't want too many partition, it is so annoying.

I will try the Ultimate boot CD, Gparted and Partition Magic.

If anyone have another great answer, my question is, is it possible to mix 10GB of usable space on hdd (whether the 10GB is already become another partition or like the problem above).

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Ok, actually I have 6 partitions.

C: Windows 7 (97GB free space from 132GB)
D: Games (1.2GB free space from 142GB)
E: Movies (1.1GB free space from 142GB)
F: Mp3/Songs/Albums (122GB free space from 142GB)
G: Documents (131GB free space from 136GB but I just shrinked this volume to make dual boot with Windows XP)
J: Windows XP (5.9GB free space from 10GB)

I make a dual boot Windows 7/XP with no problem, so want to try something new, new OS, the Linux Ubuntu. I downloaded Ubuntu 11.04 and before I started to install the Ubuntu OS, I planned to shrink another 10GB from the G: drive. So now it will have 7 partitions, right? So, the new partition called M: and I renamed it UbuntuOS. Ok, new partition ready, so I make a bootable USB and start the installation process. When I reach one session, where I need to choose a partition, I can't install Ubuntu on the partition I just created. I keep getting an error saying that something like root problem and wanted me to correct it on the partition menu. I have tried to follow many tutorial but none of them helped me. So I tried to install Ubuntu alongside with Windows 7, succeed!! but looks like it shrinked my C: drive.

But didn't like when Ubuntu bootup 1st, goto the bottom and choose something like Windows 7 loader, and then choose whether want to boot from Windows 7 or XP. So, I planned to uninstall Ubuntu by going to Disk Management and delete the "unwelcome" shrinked partition created by Ubuntu. NOW, when I delete the Ubuntu partition, the free space from Ubuntu before has been separated from the C:. I don't know how to put the free space back to the C: drive. It remains unalocated. In other words, I now have 8 partitions.

C: Windows 7 (97GB free space from 132GB)
D: Games (1.2GB free space from 142GB)
E: Movies (1.1GB free space from 142GB)
F: Mp3/Songs/Albums (122GB free space from 142GB)
G: Documents (131GB free space from 136GB but I just shrinked this volume to make dual boot with Windows XP)
J: Windows XP (5.9GB free space from 10GB)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M: UbuntuOS (which is useless because Ubuntu wont let me choose this partition during installation process = 10GB)
?: Unallocated space (which is created during the installation Ubuntu alongside with Windows 7 = 10GB)

As you can see 20GB has been wasted. BUT, C: space still 132GB. If 10GB really being separated from the C: which has 132GB, why C: still shows 132GB? If it is being separated, the C: space must be 122GB or lower, right?

Hope you understand :??: I just don't know how to make the 10GB back to C:.

4745454b

Titan
I thought you said you took it from the G drive? But Linux didn't like not being on the first partition, so you shrank more from C? And now somehow you have 20GBs being allocated for something else, but you can't find it? I'd start by double checking your partition sizes. I'd use Disk manager.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

You dont understand what i mean? Yes 20GB has been wasted, where 10GB from G: drive (now as M: UbuntuOS), and 10GB (Unallocated Space) during installation alongside with Windows 7. It becomes Unallocated Space because there is no other way i can uninstall ubuntu, unless i delete or format the drive. So when i dlete the partition, i thought the free space will be added back to C: again, but it is not. It just like that, has been separated from C:, unless i make it as new partition or unallocated space. BUT, the C: still have same space before i install the ubuntu. Dont you think this is weird? Before i install the ubuntu (alongside with Windows 7), the space in C: is 132GB. After i install and then remove the ubuntu, the C: space still 132GB, but the Unallocated Space cannot be added back to C:. The Unallocated Space came from C:

If you dont understand the Unallocated Space, it was made/created during the installation of the ubuntu (alongside with Windows 7). I dont like it because it take over the mbr, so i delete it from the disk management.

4745454b

Titan
I do understand, I think. I'm trying to figure out how you found out the disk sizes. If you are checking with my computer, then I think its just an error. I was wondering if the sizes are different in disk management.

If not, the only thing I can think to do is to use one of those programs I mentioned and see if it can find the missing 20GBs. Add it to whatever disk you want.

JerRevo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
If M is where you wanted it to go but is not there and your unallocated is the deleted Ubuntu...Delete M, New partition the 20GB space. I think it will much easier to add the 20GB back to C with UBCD program suggested above. I personally always hated partition magic, but I'm sure someone here can guide you through it.