Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System stops dead -- even after replacing MB etc

Last response: in Motherboards
April 13, 2010 1:03:04 PM

My homebuilt system (Core Duo E4400, 2G DDR2/667, Gigabyte MB, XP/Pro) started (after 2+ years) just stopping dead in its tracks with no warning after 5-15 minutes up. In general, is this a symptom of anything in particular?

Brief subsequent history -- I replaced the CPU and memory without improvement. Then I replaced the MB (with a newer Gigabyte) and it seemed fixed for a week, but now is back, but only once/day (so far). I don't know if it's the same problem, but the symptom is identical except for the frequency.

The only of the former electronics in the system are (1) Rosewill Conexant PCI modem board used to dial my land line, installed six weeks before this started (2) MSI GeForce 9400 installed four months ago. Since these are recent I now suspect them, but can they cause this symptom -- whole system silently stopping dead? Can the power supply do it? After that, it's just inert steel and plastic (and disks, but...)

Or should I suspect the new MB fooling me with a similar problem?

Thanks. --David.
April 13, 2010 10:38:56 PM

it could be your mobo battery. im just thinking...
m
l

Best solution

April 13, 2010 10:53:55 PM

I would check your PSU. If it's some no name, or even a weaker power supply - that could be causing your issues. Do you have a spare around or maybe you could borrow one from a friend?
April 14, 2010 12:27:04 AM

I agree with jfreggie, it sounds exactly like a power supply problem. I had a similar experience a few years ago, & a new PSU did the trick.
m
l
April 14, 2010 1:30:11 AM

Thanks for the analysis. Here's the PSU... A SPARKLE 400W ATX.

http://bit.ly/9sreHQ

Do PSUs deteriorate enough in two years to start causing system failure within 15 minutes. And if so, why has the failure frequency now decreased with similar components. Ah, I went from a E4400 to a E8400 cpu, which draws 10 W less power -- is that enough to make the difference? How about the memory -- DDR2/667 to DDR3/1300?

And maybe I've added enough stuff -- a modem board, 1TB drive, MSI GeForce 9400 512MB upgrade from Chaintech GeForce 7600GS 256MB -- to max out the PSU.

Gee, after replacing all that stuff, it'd be annoying to find out it's the PSU. Oh, well, it's zippier now.
m
l
April 24, 2010 12:30:23 AM

Best answer selected by djlewis.
m
l
!