My first time! i'm scared. tell me what you think...

JTBALLER

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: would like to buy the parts today BUDGET RANGE: would be happy to keep it under 1,000. but 1,200 would still be fine.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, internet, hdmi port for movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: have keyboard and mouse, that's about it

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg or any other sites that are respected

PARTS PREFERENCES: i want to use the intel core i7 920, because i've read that it's very good.

OVERCLOCKING: don't know much about overclocking so not right now

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1200 i believe

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: nothing right now...

------------------

Parts I've picked out: well i've only ended up coming up with a CPU i guess right now as i'm not too knowledgeable about videocards, soooo....

Intel core i7 920

picked this case, because i thought it was cool

I wanted to have an HDMI port also, so for that I would need to have a motherboard that has one, right? and then also for that HDMI, do I have to look for a videocard that can support HDMI?

well, for the motherboard and the videocard, i'd love to have suggestions from you guys, because I don't know which cards are good and which are not, and what is the best for the price, etc.

well, i guess this is a start... any opinions?

You dont need any video on the motherboard if you have a graphics card.

The case link is to the i7 CPU, not a case. I would suggest looking at the Coolermaster CM 690, Coolermaster HAF 922, Antec 300 illusion, Antec 900 and Antec 902. If you are likely to move it around alot the Coolermaster Storm Scout has handles. To me the key things are a case with Front fan, Top fan, Rear fan and side vent.

The best inexpensive motherboard for the i7 920 is the ASRock x58 extreme.

For that resolution and gaming you are probably looking at an HD 5850 or 5870 graphics card. They have HDMI already. Unfortunately 5850s in particular are hard to find and sell out fast because everyone wants one. It depends on the games you are playing, though. What games are you looking at?

mizzl

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

Dude, hehe, the case link just points to the i7 processor xD
Which case do you mean exactly?
Okay, so, for motherboard, i'd choose this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375 ($189)
Gigabyte UD3R, very good budget mobo, good reviews.
Definitely the HD5850 if you want good gaming, so:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857 ($260)
RAM(DDR3-1600, 8-8-8):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145236 ($165)
Fine PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 ($110)
Good HDD(1000GB):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433 ($90)
Very good CPU cooler, and not even that expensive, great if you want to OC a little:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185093 ($36)
That's about it.

mizzl

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Well, it's all pretty simple ;)
CPU is i7-920, socket 1366, so it needs a socket 1366 mobo.
Videocard, well, that can fit in any motherboard with PCIe x16 2.0.
That's all

JTBALLER

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
yep, i went and looked at the 922 after i saw you had suggested a similar one to the one i had chose, and it seems like the one you suggested would be a better pick.

i'm so excited! haha

i'm going to have to buy windows 7 though :( that's why I was thinking maybe I should just buy one already made like a HP or Dell. I'd have a warranty, plus windows 7 already installed and have no hassle of putting it all together, even though I kind of want to do it to say I did.

but at the same time for this price it seems i could probably get a better motherboard and graphics card than i would get with a HP or dell I guess.

JTBALLER

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
hmmm what's the system builders mean?

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed.

forgive me...

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
You can only install it on one computer, essentially. It's life is as long as the life of the computer.

Of course you could call Microsoft and say, "Hey my motherboard died, I need to reactivate my operating system."

So with the proper amount of social engineering it could last for a few computers. But I'll let your moral compass guide the way.

OEM's Operating Systems are nothing to fear, they're quite the bargain.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

Certainly not, sorry if I came across as against them, quite the opposite. I'd highly recommend buying an OEM version - as I have for myself.

I misread your post and didn't realize you were speaking in regards to how often a motherboard dies and you have to call MS to reactivate, it is definitely a rare occurrence, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

JTBALLER

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
just bought the antec 900, intel core i7 920, and the gigabyte motherboard.

howeverrrrrrrrrr, the video card is not available at newegg or amazon right now. so while i'm waiting for that card, would you like to elaborate on why you'd recommend it? and is there another that can compete with it for the price?

JTBALLER

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
with a name like ominous prime, how could i not take your advice.

it says ETA of the 23rd so i'll wait a few days and see what happens :)

i'm so giddy. i already am expecting to have all my parts and in the middle of putting them together run into a road block lol and i can see myself getting soooo frustrated... but oh well should be fun.