Windows 7 showing only 4 threads instead of 8 for Core i7 860?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

markokobal

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Hi,

I'm having an wierd problem with my computer.

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
Procesor = INTEL CORE i7 860 2.80 GHz

Motherboar BIOS (updated to latest version F5) is set to default settings.

OS = Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Check out the print-screens:

Device_Manager_8_CPU_4cores_x2_multi-threading.png

Device manager properly shows 8 logical processors (4 cores x 2 with Multi-Threading)!

Task_Manager_4_CPU_2cores_x2_multi-threading.png

But Task Manager shows ONLY 4 logical processors.

CPU-Z_and_CoreTemp_2cores_x2_multi-threading.png

Also CPU-Z and CoreTemp shows only 2 cores and 4 threads.

---

I tried to disable Multi-Threading in BIOS and then CPU-Z and CoreTemp shows 4 cores.

It looks like my OS is limiting CPU to 4 logical threads? Is this possible? Are there any CPU affinity modes settings in Windows 7?

Thanks for help!

Kind regards, Marko Kobal.

erikjansson

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
This must be by far the wierdest thing I have seen on an intel core i7 o_O

But from my point of view it could be the OS(As you said) or the motherboard that for some reason isnt recognizing the threads and the cores. It could be aswell a foulty CPU but thats rare, or it could be a foulty installation of the CPU. Check if you got the "arrows" positioned right.

Here is what I would do:

1#Check the BIOS and see if it provides the same information
2#If the BIOS has correct info about the CPU, reinstall windows or test another version of windows
3#Open up the rig and reinstall the CPU
4#Open the rig take the CPU out and throw it out of the window

Im not sure I helped or made the situation worse but hey, you have to try ;D

Erik Jansson
////UPDATE////
Just noticed a thing on those pics, on the core temp picture its saying Intel core i3 o_O, something on that CPU of yours is reaaaaallllllyyy wierd. And btw those are pretty nice temps u got there what cooler are u using?

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

No, it should be able to display 8 threads.

Core+i7+Task+Manager.png

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

That's pretty odd behavior. It is possible you've caught a defective part, but I've never heard of this failure mode before.

I'd call "BIOS" on this one, especially since you've verified that changing the BIOS changes the reported CPU-Z results. Since you said this is the latest BIOS, can you switch to an older one and see if this behavior changes?

markokobal

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I'll add some more details on this story:

1. Multi-Threading is enabled in BIOS.

2. Like I said - when I disable Multi-Threading, there are 4 cores shown (insted of only 2 when Multi-Threading is enabled).

I remember, when I first installed Win7, there were all 8 threads (logical CPU's) shown in Task Manger.

Later I've disabled Multi-Threading and reinstalled Win7 (because of some applications wich performs better without Multi-Threading). Now I have again enabled Multi-Threading, but it seams like Win7 somehow "set" the maximum number of logical processor to 4 at installation, beacuse that was the number at the time of installation of Win7.

Wierd ... anyway ... I'll try to reinstall Win7 on another disk with Multi-Threading enabled before installation and check if it will then use all 8 logical processors.

Kind regards, Marko Kobal.

The way i see it,

Core i5 will always have a total of 4 threads while core i7 (excluding the core i7 980/core i9) has 8 threads.

profettheone

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hi. Hope this might help unless u already have sorted it. But there might be other out there wanna know the solution. Now this is in general to rule out issues with one or more of the multiple cores and is by default unboxed. You can read more here: BOOT advanced option
Anyway, here it is a quick check for you(this is also in the abow link):

type "administrative tools" in the search bar on Start and klick it.
This will open a window for you. You will there choose "system configuration"
Klick on the tab "Boot" and choose "advanced options". U might have selected number of processors. Uncheck the box and accept.
Reboot is necessary.

Hope that sorts your problem ;-)

Best regards / Profet

mmmmm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
i think its the BIOS ... i just updated from F2 to F5 and instantly lost 2 cores .. ( even in CMOS, when entering the menu to check CPU temps id lost two cores ) ... i then stepped down to f4 and f3, same problem

reflashed f2 and the cores reappeared.. bit of a bummer given that from that ive read f4 is apparently better suited to win 7 and o/c

might see if i can contact gb for answer

core i7 860
gb p55-ud4
8gb ddr3 1333
750w p/s
2 x radeon hd 5850

mmmmm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
further invetigation found a really simple answer... when upgraded bios it defaulted to only activating 2 cores... just have to switch number of calls back to all and in action ...

Ericthefish

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Hi,
I Have exactly the same problem as markokobol but with a Core i7 and Gigabyte GA EX58 UD3R. I've tried most of the suggestions below but to no avail.
Anyone any more ideas, please!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS