comptech81

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I am still in school and learning this stuff so please excuse me if this question seems stupid. I just ordered the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 from HP to put in my Alienware m17x. The reason is because you can buy it from hp for 540 dollars after shipping and tax where as Dell charges an extra 1000 dollars for this upgrade. Anyways, I was looking at the processor specs and noticed that it has a frontside bus speed of 1066MHz. One of the options when configuring your laptop on Alienware website is upgrading the ram to the 1333MHz. Will these two speeds work together and if so will it be at the 1333MHz or the 1066MHz? Is putting ram faster that 1066MHz into this configuration just a waste of money?

Btw, It's a total rip off. A QX9300 is a total waste of money when you can get much superior i7 mobile based computer for far less. It might have been $500 less than the dell upgrade, but it's still overpriced compared to better options.

Dell and Apple both charge ridiculous amounts of money for "upgrades." ie. charging $200 for RAM when you can buy the same RAM for $80 and upgrade it yourself.

Get the cheapest RAM and buy & upgrade yourself.

Well kinda hard to read the post so i can see why not many people answering you questions.

anyways to answer the questions,

Will these two speeds work together and if so will it be at the 1333MHz or the 1066MHz?

Well it should work together, Although the 1333MHz ram will be underclocked to match the 1066MHz ram.

Is putting ram faster that 1066MHz into this configuration just a waste of money?

In my personal option, you probably wouldn't notice a difference between 2 in performance.

So what ever better for the budget will do.