Loss of video signal?

Quarzac

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
My computer loses the video signal if I play graphically intense games for any period of time, sometime a while, sometime not long at all. For instance, Borderlands. I'll play for a short while, and the screen will go black, the last played sound will begin to skip, and it will say "DVI no Signal" on the monitor. I built the computer in January, and am relatively tech savvy. What's the problem here? I'm thinking it might be the PSU, with all that and 5 fans, it may not be putting out the juice. Thanks!

Specs- ATI HD4850 w/ Zalman aftermarket cooler
530W Raidmax 530SS PSU
Phenom X4 9850
3 HDD of varying sizes
Biostar TA790GX A2+ Mobo
4GB DDR2 800 RAM
Smilodon Extreme Case

Solution
That is certainly possible, as you are pushing the limits of that PSU. But first, lets check some easy to check things (as for the PSU about the only thing you can do is replace it). First, monitor the max temps while gaming with a program like HWMonitor. Then, you could also try something like prime95 or memtest to stress the CPU/ram to make sure they are ok. If all that passes, it very well may be the PSU. As the capacitors/etc. in a PSU age, it becomes less effective in regulating the output and low voltages/high noise/failure may occur. The more stressed the PSU, the worse this is. But, first rule out the sinple fixes (above).
That is certainly possible, as you are pushing the limits of that PSU. But first, lets check some easy to check things (as for the PSU about the only thing you can do is replace it). First, monitor the max temps while gaming with a program like HWMonitor. Then, you could also try something like prime95 or memtest to stress the CPU/ram to make sure they are ok. If all that passes, it very well may be the PSU. As the capacitors/etc. in a PSU age, it becomes less effective in regulating the output and low voltages/high noise/failure may occur. The more stressed the PSU, the worse this is. But, first rule out the sinple fixes (above).

Solution

Quarzac

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Well, I've ran memtest and prime95 on this, as well as monitored the temps, which, for the graphics card, stay below 90. Everything seems stable outside of gaming or intense long term use, so perhaps the PSU is the problem. Thanks