Gigabyte GA p35-ds3/s3 CPU compatibility issue?

Akourah

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi folks,

Well I just bought an AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz (Socket AM2+) and the above motherboard in the title seems to load up the computer but the monitor remains on standby. This only occurs when the new CPU is in place.

I also see a green LED lit on the motherboard and the beep to say everything is already never occurs, no beeps occur at all.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Akourah

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Oh dear. I fear I have been a retard. I pulled the wrong motherboard box out of the cupboard.

I am on a Abit KN9 nForce Ultra (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard ..

I feel like a right prat now (because I am).

And the original processor was an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.40GHz which I am back on now.

Thats ok, it happens to all of use once in a while. ;)

Anyways,

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?fMTYPE=Socket%20AM2&pMODEL_NAME=KN9

Sorry, the reason why your motherboard doesn't work is due that Abit did not release a bios that can work with the phenom II's.

To use that cpu, you'll need to change out the motherboard. Get an AM2+ motherboard to full uses that cpu.

Akourah

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
You just made it onto my 2010 Christmas card list. Thank you so much, I'm gutted that this is the case but having total clarity on the issue makes me much happier. Again thanks a lot!

Chris.

no problem. At least all you'll have to do is change the motherboard. The rest of the hardware can be reused. Just be sure to get AM2+ and not AM3 motherboards.

Akourah

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I just purchased a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P AMD 790X (Socket AM3AM2+) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard ! Just in case I want to upgrade my CPU in the future!

Good choice. ;)