"My Documents" automatically opens on boot

Gail

My Doc auto opens on boot - have reinstalled o/s to no
avail. Can close, but annoying. Help?

i have been troubleshooting this for many hours. was there
a error of missing atapi.sys during download and
installation??

Gail

How do I check this?

Gail,

From previous newsgroup post by Doug Knox - MVP:

<quote>
Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Look in the right pane for a value called Userinit. Its value should read:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Including the trailing comma. If it reads anything else, double click
the Userinit value and change it. This assumes that XP is installed on
C:\Windows. If not, adjust the command line accordingly.

</quote>

If that does not help, see what startup applications are running. Get the
Autoruns utility (as they call "superset of MSConfig") from
www.sysinternals.com and inspect the startup programs.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User

"gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
My Doc auto opens on boot - have reinstalled o/s to no
avail. Can close, but annoying. Help?

Gail

Ramesh - I've tried everything you suggested, but aftering
downloading "autoruns" and examining the auto-run
programs, I cannot identify "My Documents." Any ideas what
to do next?

Gail,

Post the Autoruns log here. (File > Save As)

--

Ramesh - I've tried everything you suggested, but aftering
downloading "autoruns" and examining the auto-run
programs, I cannot identify "My Documents." Any ideas what
to do next?

Gail

Without "attachment" option, how do I post the log? Have
tried copy/paste, but no paste option. Thx for your help.

Gail

Pls see 26. Aug discussion of same problem. Is it safe to
ignore A/V warning re script?