Sign in with
Your question

RAID question

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2011 1:05:28 PM

Hello

I had RAID 1 mirror with two HDD 250GB, one of them failed, so i put a new 320GB HDD, i then replaced the working 250GB with another 320GB, so now i have two 320GB instead of the 250GB before.
I rebulited the RAID, and it all works good.
My problem is that now i can only use 250GB from my new 320GB HDDs.
I tried with disk managment, but it doesnt see any unlocated space.
Is there any solution for my problem?

Thanks in advanced

More about : raid question

a c 82 G Storage
September 4, 2011 1:51:45 PM

It depends on the RAID controller. A solution is to perform a complete backup, reinitialize the RAID 1 to use 320 GB and then restore. You could also create another RAID 1 or RAID 0 with the unused disk space.
m
l
September 4, 2011 2:16:05 PM

If i reinitialize RAID 1 to use 320GB i need to erase this one and create another RADI 1.
Does that mean i'll need to re-install my OS?
I just tried and i can't create another raid with the unused disk space.
What if i try to use some partition program?

thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 82 G Storage
September 4, 2011 3:17:38 PM

A partitioning program might work, but I wouldn't try it until I've performed a complete system backup (though you should have a complete copy on the good 250 GB drive).

If the partitioning program doesn't work, then you'll need to reinitialze the RAID 1 and then perform a restore. If you restore everything from a complete backup, then you don't need to reinstall the OS or anything else. In order to use a partitioning program, you might need to break the mirror (not the RAID), resize the partition and then recreate the RAID.

Out of curiosity, what RAID controller and OS do you have? I presume that you perform backups on a regular basis? A RAID 1 is not a backup as it doesn't prevent file deletions, viruses from infecting the system, the system being stolen or damaged, etc.
m
l
September 4, 2011 8:02:27 PM

The RAID controller is Jmicron JMB36X, and i have Windows 7 Professional.
I run backups on external HDD every now and then.
I just don't want to reinstall the OS :) 
I'll try with Partition Manager in the morning, and i'll keep you posted.

thanks for the advice
m
l
a b G Storage
September 4, 2011 8:23:50 PM

What software do you use for backups? Be sure not to back up sector-by-sector mode.
m
l
September 4, 2011 8:28:28 PM

I use Acronis True Image, and i don't know if it uses sector by sector mode.
Do you recommend i use some other(better) software?
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
September 4, 2011 8:46:46 PM

Acronis True Image is one of the best. As long as you perform a complete backup followed by regular incremental backups (or full backups), then you're fine.
m
l
September 5, 2011 6:37:57 PM

Thanks to everyone that helped.
I solved the problem with Gparted partition program.
It all went well, again thanks to all :) 
m
l
!