Overclocking E8400 on Asus P5G41C-M LX help!!!

morespama2k

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
HI,

I am running on Auto Overclock via Bios setting @3.4 GHz for a few years already, quite happily, and need help to push it even further with manual settings. My proudly self-essembled rig ;) :

Asus P5G41C-M LX (Intel G41)
E8400 @3.4 GHz with Arctic Cooler 7 Rev.2 air fan
PNY GTX 460 @820 MHz OC
4GB DDR3 - 1066 (7-7-7-20CR1) (2GB Kingston and 2GB G Skill)
OCZ 600W SXS
LG 42" LCD via HDMI

I am using my PC mostly for gaming - Skyrim, W40K Spacemarines, Crysis 2, Civ5, ect... which all increasingly require high-performance CPU - most reccomend Quad Core CPUs. So I decided to pump up the aging E8400 to @4 GHZ ( or as high as possisble as long as I do not have to upgrade to water cooling - max 75-80* C) as far as I know) before buying the new generation i5 in 8-12 month (once the prices are down).

The problem is that after reading various E8400 overclocking tutorials, I cannot relate most terms (e.g. V Core) to my BIOS settings, and I cannot find overclocking instructions for my specific board with E8400 capabilitties (open multiplier, etc..).

My BIOS manual overcloking options are in full below:

CPU Frequence (200-800 range)
DRAM Frequence ("Auto" or varios multiple choice options which auto-change after the CPU Frequency value is changed)
PCI Express Frequency ("Auto" or 90 - 150 range)
Memory Voltage ("Auto" or 1.2000V - 2.4450V)
NB Voltage ("Auto" or 1.12500V - 1.51875V)
VTT Voltage (""Auto or 1.20000V - 1.29375V)
SB 1.5V Voltage (1.5V or 1.6V)
Auto PSI (Enabled/Disabled)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated....

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
The problem is that after reading various E8400 overclocking tutorials, I cannot relate most terms (e.g. V Core) to my BIOS settings, and I cannot find overclocking instructions for my specific board with E8400 capabilitties (open multiplier, etc..).

The E8400 has a locked multiplier. You OC it by rasing the FSB (CPU Frequency) and the Voltage to the CPU usaully refered as V Core. Your E8400 has a multiplier of 9 X 333 = 2997 or 3.0 GHz rounded off.

Your auto OC of 3.4 GHz is 9 X 378 = 3402 MHz or 3.4 GHz rounded off. If you can not raise the Vc for your CPU then you are probably stuck at 3.4 GHz.

However if you go into your BIOS and open AI Overclocking you should open a window allowing you to select "Manual". You then should be able to adjust your Vc or CPU Voltage to get a higher stable OC. Your CPU normal range of voltages are .85 - 1.3625V. If you are shooting for 4.0 GHz OC then your Vc will be ~ 1.40v. That would be a FSB of 425 X 9 = 4.0 GHz rounded off.

One other thing I noticed is that you are using 2 different brands of ram. This in all probability will limit your ability to achieve a stable OC much over what Auto Overclock was able to give you.

I would suggest This memory instead of what you have.

Good luck to you. :sol:

morespama2k

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

Thank you very for such an informative reply - im a noob in OC ;]].

A few corrections from my previois post - I installed AIDA64 and it says that both of my 2GB sticks RAM are DDR3 1333 so is this good news?

The reason that I got different RAM sticks and such a uncommon board is because my previous mobo died together with a sh*t powersupply, so I got this to accomidate older 2GB DDR2 and new 2GB DDR3, recently I upgraded all RAM to DDR3 but ensured that they are both by defalt run at the same latency/frequency/basicaly exactly the same at least on paper - do you think that this will prevent me from stable OC even if both RAM sticks have the same specs?

Also, you suggested to raise the Vc for CPU otherwise you suuspect that I will be probably stuck at 3.4 GHz - please tell me wheateher any of the options below are Vc/Voltage to the CPU, since those are the only available options in the "manual overclock screen":

CPU Frequence (200-800 range)
DRAM Frequence ("Auto" or varios multiple choice options which auto-change after the CPU Frequency value is changed)
PCI Express Frequency ("Auto" or 90 - 150 range)
Memory Voltage ("Auto" or 1.2000V - 2.4450V)
NB Voltage ("Auto" or 1.12500V - 1.51875V)
VTT Voltage (""Auto or 1.20000V - 1.29375V)
SB 1.5V Voltage (1.5V or 1.6V)
Auto PSI (Enabled/Disabled)

Many thanks for your help;]]

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
all RAM to DDR3 but ensured that they are both by defalt run at the same latency/frequency/basicaly exactly the same at least on paper - do you think that this will prevent me from stable OC even if both RAM sticks have the same specs?

If you are able to actually OC higher than that M/BD has done for you, YES.

Also, you suggested to raise the Vc for CPU otherwise you suuspect that I will be probably stuck at 3.4 GHz - please tell me wheateher any of the options below are Vc/Voltage to the CPU, since those are the only available options in the "manual overclock screen":

I do not see anything there that would change your CPU voltage. :(

I downloaded your manual but not being able to open any sub-menus keeps me from knowing exactly what you may have available. Sometimes pressing F2 while in the BIOS will open other options for you, thou I did not see that in the manual.

I guess I would just go ahead and ghange my FSB to 400 (3.6GHz) and see if the M/BD changed any voltages for you in the BIOS before letting it try to boot into windows. If it does, then restart and let it try to boot up to the desk top. If not then you know you are stuck at 3.4GHz.

The worse that could happen is you get a BSOD, have to reset CMOS to stock settings and maybe reinstall some drivers. Then let the M/BD OC your CPU to 3.4GHz again.

Wish you good luck my friend.