Sign in with
Your question

How can I make my seagate barracuda 7200 12 a slave drive

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2011 3:50:27 PM

Hello,
My sata drive crashed (windows 7), It kept saying I/o Error everytime I used the OS to try and fix it, I put in a new harddrive its an IDE drive, I was wondering if I could set up the Sata as a slave to try and retrieve the info off of it or even repair it...Please help
September 4, 2011 3:53:58 PM

Mixing and matching IDE and sata doesn't work. What you could do is get a USB adapter and use the sata as an external drive it should recognize it then.
a c 327 G Storage
September 6, 2011 5:04:23 AM

I disagree. There is no problem using both IDE and SATA internal HDD's in the same computer.

If I understand you correctly, you have a new IDE HDD installed and have (or will) installed your OS on it, so the machine works again. But you still have a "bad" SATA drive and you would like to recover its data. To do that you want to connect it as a second internal HDD and work on it.

First of all, you should understand that the terms "Master" and "Slave" are only labels for how to keep clear identification of two IDE drives that share a port and cable. They do NOT apply to your whole machine. There is NO "Master" of the machine and no "Slaves" after it. If your new HDD is the only device on the IDE port and ribbon cable, its jumpers MUST be set to be the port Master. But the old SATA unit does NOT need to have any jumper adjusted. In fact, do NOT change any jumper on it - you could cause a big problem that way.

What you actually do need to do - and maybe it's already done - is to set the Boot Priority Sequence in BIOS Setup so that the new IDE HDD is your boot drive, and it does NOT try to boot from the old SATA unit. I am presuming also that you have made sure the IDE port is Enabled.

That's all there is to using both IDE and SATA drives in one machine.

Now, one other small tip that might help you. SOMETIMES problems with HDD's are caused simply by loose or dirty connector contacts. So while you are inside your machine, go to the cables (data and power) for the old SATA drive. At each end of the data cable, and only one end of its power connection, disconnect it and then re-connect it, a few times each. This will "scrub" any dirt off the contacts. IF that was the original problem, it might help you get access to its data again.
September 13, 2011 12:42:33 AM

Thank you so much for taking time to right me a thorough response, You are correct in saying I created a IDE hard drive (unfortunately, I only had a win xp install disk, so I will try to get a hold of a win 7 upgrade and then try your advise to doing the 2 drives. I am use to the jumpers in the back of an IDE drive....I will let you know , thanks again...
!