Semi Low FPS

nickklute

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Ive had my system for about 2 years now. AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Oc'ed slightly, 4 GB ram, 1 tb hdd (fast 10,000rpms) sata, MSI K9N Mobo. and 2 8600 GTS superclocked. I only get about 40-70 FPS in Left 4 Dead 2 and about a couple hundred fps in CSS on all low settings. I believe i should be getting much more FPS since my system is fairly powerful, but i do believe it is my CPU causing the problem. Is this the cause, because i am looking to upgrade my CPU so i dont wanna waste money getting a cpu and still get low frames. any suggestions? oh yeah, i am running windows 7 64 bit.

1) Your PC is not "fairly powerful" by today's standards (PCs improve/evolve constantly).

2) Based on your FPS numbers, you have no problem what so ever.

3) Anything consistently above 30-40FPS isn't even noticeable by the human eye generally speaking.

4) A faster CPU won't really show you much FPS gain when you consider the fact that your 2 x 8600GTS isn't really going to be limited by what you have anyhow. To do any better, you need a new CPU & video card.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008

8600GTS was always never too great, even in SLI they're not much.

Left 4 Dead 2 will EAT THE 4200+ FOR BREAKFAST. Even with multi core on. Valve's source games are turning into bigger and bigger cpu whores with an only marginal increase in looks.

Hell Left 4 dead 2 gets bad fps at times on my E2220@3GHz which is a fair bit better than your 4200+ but still nothing compared to the I7's and higher end C2D.

Only sevral hundred fps in css? *gasps*

Your HDD's are still pretty good though although SSD's made them obsolete. Don't you just love technology?

Pretty much this.

You should be able to OC the x2 4200+ to decent performance ---- how much you wish to invest in a new video card would depend on what your future plans may be.

There are a few HD4850s out there for around $110. The best shot at DX11 would be a an HD5750 for around $150. The HD 4870s would perform 10% better but they are all gone for the most part (you might find a few around $180).

The AMD budget DX11 cards should be out in a month or so.

nVidia will hopefully have some new product out in 3 months ... Their latest is the GT240 (costs about the same as the HD4850 - actually, a bit more :pfff: )

21305.png

It ain't pretty ....

nickklute

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
oh dang :[ well i suppose ill be upgrading my GPU here soon, anyways in the mean time, i also have this problem with my cards over heating after they default back to 32% fan speed. I constantly have to set them back to 100% but if one is too hot they will go right back to 32% any suggestions on that?