Semi Low FPS

Ive had my system for about 2 years now. AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Oc'ed slightly, 4 GB ram, 1 tb hdd (fast 10,000rpms) sata, MSI K9N Mobo. and 2 8600 GTS superclocked. I only get about 40-70 FPS in Left 4 Dead 2 and about a couple hundred fps in CSS on all low settings. I believe i should be getting much more FPS since my system is fairly powerful, but i do believe it is my CPU causing the problem. Is this the cause, because i am looking to upgrade my CPU so i dont wanna waste money getting a cpu and still get low frames. any suggestions? oh yeah, i am running windows 7 64 bit.
5 answers Last reply
More about semi
  1. 1) Your PC is not "fairly powerful" by today's standards (PCs improve/evolve constantly).

2) Based on your FPS numbers, you have no problem what so ever.

3) Anything consistently above 30-40FPS isn't even noticeable by the human eye generally speaking.

4) A faster CPU won't really show you much FPS gain when you consider the fact that your 2 x 8600GTS isn't really going to be limited by what you have anyhow. To do any better, you need a new CPU & video card.
  2. nickklute said:
    Ive had my system for about 2 years now. AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Oc'ed slightly, 4 GB ram, 1 tb hdd (fast 10,000rpms) sata, MSI K9N Mobo. and 2 8600 GTS superclocked. I only get about 40-70 FPS in Left 4 Dead 2 and about a couple hundred fps in CSS on all low settings. I believe i should be getting much more FPS since my system is fairly powerful, but i do believe it is my CPU causing the problem. Is this the cause, because i am looking to upgrade my CPU so i dont wanna waste money getting a cpu and still get low frames. any suggestions? oh yeah, i am running windows 7 64 bit.

8600GTS was always never too great, even in SLI they're not much.

Left 4 Dead 2 will EAT THE 4200+ FOR BREAKFAST. Even with multi core on. Valve's source games are turning into bigger and bigger cpu whores with an only marginal increase in looks.

Hell Left 4 dead 2 gets bad fps at times on my E2220@3GHz which is a fair bit better than your 4200+ but still nothing compared to the I7's and higher end C2D.

Only sevral hundred fps in css? *gasps*

Your HDD's are still pretty good though although SSD's made them obsolete. Don't you just love technology?
  3. As the others have said, don't expect miracles from your system.

The Athlon x2 4200+ is an old dual core, and the 8600GT was never a gaming card. Two 8600GTs in Sli probably equals a 7950GT, or 9500GT GDDR3, or an ATI 4650 DDR2.
  4. Bluescreendeath said:
    As the others have said, don't expect miracles from your system.

The Athlon x2 4200+ is an old dual core, and the 8600GT was never a gaming card. Two 8600GTs in Sli probably equals a 7950GT, or 9500GT GDDR3, or an ATI 4650 DDR2.

Pretty much this.

You should be able to OC the x2 4200+ to decent performance ---- how much you wish to invest in a new video card would depend on what your future plans may be.

There are a few HD4850s out there for around $110. The best shot at DX11 would be a an HD5750 for around $150. The HD 4870s would perform 10% better but they are all gone for the most part (you might find a few around $180).

The AMD budget DX11 cards should be out in a month or so.

nVidia will hopefully have some new product out in 3 months ... Their latest is the GT240 (costs about the same as the HD4850 - actually, a bit more :pfff: )

It ain't pretty ....
  5. oh dang :[ well i suppose ill be upgrading my GPU here soon, anyways in the mean time, i also have this problem with my cards over heating after they default back to 32% fan speed. I constantly have to set them back to 100% but if one is too hot they will go right back to 32% any suggestions on that?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs