Help with XFree86 and LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

I'm trying to configure my LCD monitor (a NEC industrial display,
model NL 10276BC30) to work with a Silicon Motion Lynx 3DM card using
X server v3.3.6. The card is supported under this version using
XF86_SVGA. Now, for all Modelines I've configured that are not
rejected as "Not valid modes", I end up getting a black screen. When
this occur, I get no error message from X, instead the output gets
truncated. When I give one of the invalid modes, I can get to see an
output similar to this:

(--) SVGA: Detected SMI Lynx 3DM
(--) SVGA: using driver for chip "smi"
(--) SVGA: using videoram 4096kB (present 8192kB)
(--) SVGA: Ramdac speed 135 MHz
(--) SVGA: Detected current MCLK value of 85.909 MHz
(--) SVGA: LCD Size 1024x768, type=TFT, clock 50.114 MHz
(--) SVGA: chipset smi
(--) SVGA: videoram: 4096k
(**) SVGA: Using 16 bpp, Depth 16, Color weight: 565
(--) SVGA: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 135.000 MHz

I've read basically everything I could find about video modes
(including VideoModes.doc, modeDB.txt,...) and still no solution.

It'd be great if someone out there could at least clear out these
starting points:

1. The dot-clock I configure as second parameter on a modeline should
correspond to which, if any, of the values seen in the output above
(50.114 detected on the LCD, or 85.909 for the card,...)???

2. Isn't it possible to configure an LCD for more than one resolution?
Whenever I try configs of size 800x600, I get an error similar to
"Size 800x600 is too small for panel 1024x768". Strange enough, the
LCD works using FBDev with resolution 800x600, and xvidtune tells me
the size is indeed 800x600 (plus hsync=15.94, VSync=25.54 and other
values that confused me even more).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Mariana

PS: I've tried basically every 1024x768 modeline posted out there,
including all in modeDB.txt, changing the Hsync and VSync accordingly,
without success. The user manual for the monitor is not available,
only a datasheet from which I can hardly get any sync data.

Hactar

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

In article <cb854160.0406080630.57d630ea@posting.google.com>,
Mariana L <themooselet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to configure my LCD monitor (a NEC industrial display,
> model NL 10276BC30) to work with a Silicon Motion Lynx 3DM card using
> X server v3.3.6. The card is supported under this version using
> XF86_SVGA. Now, for all Modelines I've configured that are not
> rejected as "Not valid modes", I end up getting a black screen. When
> this occur, I get no error message from X, instead the output gets
> truncated. When I give one of the invalid modes, I can get to see an
> output similar to this:
>
> (--) SVGA: Detected SMI Lynx 3DM
> (--) SVGA: using driver for chip "smi"
> (--) SVGA: using videoram 4096kB (present 8192kB)

You may need the descriptor "VideoRam" in the "Device" section. Apparently
XFree86 doesn't detect all your RAM.

> (--) SVGA: Ramdac speed 135 MHz
> (--) SVGA: Detected current MCLK value of 85.909 MHz

Not sure where that figure comes from. Maybe from the current (rejected)
mode?

> (--) SVGA: LCD Size 1024x768, type=TFT, clock 50.114 MHz
> (--) SVGA: chipset smi
> (--) SVGA: videoram: 4096k
> (**) SVGA: Using 16 bpp, Depth 16, Color weight: 565
> (--) SVGA: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 135.000 MHz
>

> I've read basically everything I could find about video modes
> (including VideoModes.doc, modeDB.txt,...) and still no solution.

Create your own mode (if you can find a working starting point); see
http://linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/

> 1. The dot-clock I configure as second parameter on a modeline should
> correspond to which, if any, of the values seen in the output above
> (50.114 detected on the LCD, or 85.909 for the card,...)???

I'd vote for 50.114 .

> 2. Isn't it possible to configure an LCD for more than one resolution?

I've heard that it is, but an LCD looks lousy at other than its native
resolution.

http://www.fortecag.de/download/tft/10bc3010.pdf ?

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad day?"