URGENT please read

zbrains

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Ok i have recently started my first build and in order to hook up all my fans i needed a fan controller and well i ordered the sentry 2 and now that i have everything in place i am having second thoughts on how i connected all my fans. in general i am wondering how the fan controller works. do i ned to connect the fans to power or does the fancontroller power the fans and in that case how do i connect my 4 pin molex fans to annother male connector that the controller has. the way i currently have the fans connected are as folows.
molex power cable hooked into the fan and the fans other 4 pin molex is connected to the fan controller via 4 pin molex connector

and i am wondering if that is right. i have limited time! so quick responses would be appreciated....

purist

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
The Sentry 2 controls the fans by changing the voltage supplied to each fan, so yes, each fan needs to be connected to the controlled supply from the Sentry 2. Use Molex gender-benders todo male to male or just connect the wires together if you're confident with that sort of thing.

The fan speed is controlled by the Sentry 2 on the basis of temperature readings from the temp sensors supplied. With my (Sentry1) it was impossible to alter the temperature at which the fan changed speed so this limited it's usefulness in my particular setup. You may not find this a problem (or it may be different on your model).
Basically, plug one fan into each of the numbered molex plugs (gender-bender if required) and put a temp sensor near the source of heat (use Blu-Tack, tape, cable-ties to suit). Then set up the Sentry 2 unit. Remember to keep a list of what each fan cools and what it's number is. In a years time when you wan to change something you'll have forgotten and will have to go poking around again to find out what's what.
Hope this helps.
BAB