Swiftech SIMPLE Loop Gone Bad HELP!

beefey

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen...

I just installed my loop with the following components...

Swiftech MCR-X20 Drive (rad, res, pump combo)
Swiftech Apologee XTL CPU Block
XSPC 580 Razor Vid Card Block
1/2" ID Tube
Bitspower Fittings

I primed the system by jumping the PSU and running the pump while filling it. When actually TURN the computer on the CPU slowly creaps up in the BIOS until I get nervous and shut it off (around 70C). The lines are filled with water and firm. I've looked through Swiftechs website with no resolve. How do I know coolant is circulating? I've reseated the CPU block...

Any other ideas? Picture soon to come.

Thank you,
Scott

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
You need to be sure coolant is moving - pump could be cavitating and not moving any fluid. Do have bubbles visible in the coolant with the system running? Typically depending on set up it takes at least an hour or so to get most of the air out of the system.
Jump the psu and run the system looking for bubbles - most gpu blocks are tough to bleed out. You can crack a plug or fitting with the loop running to let out any air. Pictures of your setup would help us help you. Orientation of radiator, line routing etc. can all contriubute to air locks. Good luck with it.

beefey

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Well the pump just died... now it's emitting a LOUD wine. Perhaps it wasn't moving any fluid. The lines I have are solid colored so no way to verify. I think the pump may have been DOA.

Order of flow was pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Rad -> Res.
Is it a problem to have the pump at the TOP of the system? I top mounted the MCR Drive into a Corsair 800D Obsidian...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What do you mean the top? As in the top of your case, or the pump located on top of the radiator, sitting vertical?

There is a big difference in which is which. It sounds like you don't have the air out of the system and it's churning air and water. Disconnect the radiator from where it is mounted, power it on and rotate in all directions. This should dislodge any air pockets. Once you've done this for a few minutes, power it down, fill with water to displace air and start up again.

Do you know how to jumper a PSU? Disconnect your ATX plug, connect the green to any black wire.

beefey

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Yeah I did jumper the PSU like that. The rad/res/pump combo was oriented at the top of the case sitting the long way flat.

RES========PUMP
....................... || || <--- Fittings downward

grouchon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007

The pump didn't die (or it would be completely silent). What you hear, as rubix said, is the pump churning air and liquid. It sounds to me like your system doesn't have enough coolant in it. This is quite typical of a first time install. No worries though, just do this: open up the reservoir fill-cap and top it off with coolant. Place a piece of cloth all around the mouth of the fill-port when you screw the fill-cap back-on as it might overflow a little.

Next step is to make sure your pump is primed.

Turn your system back-on; the pump will make a gurgling noise for a few seconds while it is it sucking on air and coolant, and then the noise will subside into just a motor noise. If you don't hear that loudish gurgling noise, it means that your pump isn't priming, and there is some air trapped in there. All you need to do is tilt the case at a 45Degree angle (either front or back, I can't tell in which direction, but you want the radiator reservoir to be at the highest point), while the system is running. This should allow any air trapped in the pump to bleed out, and allow the pump to prime. Once it is primed, rest the system back flat. If you hear a lot of gurgling in that position, then it means you are still low on coolant, and you need to top-it off again. At this stage though, priming shouldn't be any problem, and you won't need to tilt your system anymore.