Performance difference Between i7 820QM & i7 920XM

i7 820QM & i7 920XM

This is just a simple question. Will i see much of a performance boost for the huge gap in cost? I mostly game but sometime need to run VM for class.
9 answers Last reply
More about performance difference 820qm 920xm
  1. probably not for a VM, you might be better to set aside that money for 8GB (2x4GB) ram so you have 4GB for the host and 4GB for the VM if you have a memory intensive program running in the VM

Newegg 8GB (2x4GB) ram sets for laptops
  2. Unfortunately the price gap between them is high,and the difference isn't worth that money so go for i7 820
  3. do the qm and xm use the same socket?
  4. Maziar said:
    Yes.

Hi Mazier,

i'm a little confused by the reply you gave here - did you mean yes to my question (re: the same socket)?

In my thread here you say that they use different ones...
  5. phylum_sinter said:
    Hi Mazier,

i'm a little confused by the reply you gave here - did you mean yes to my question (re: the same socket)?

In my thread here you say that they use different ones...

The thread you have is asking about do desktop core i7 920 and laptop I7-820qm cpus use the same socket. That would be no.

In this thread, these cpus are using the same socket as these are both mobile cpus. There a 920 for both desktops and laptops. Now to tell the difference between the 2 is looking for letters like qm at the end.

Core i7 desktop cpus, dont have lettering at the end except for the upcoming core i7 980x. Example: core i7 920

Mobile core i7 cpu have lettering the end. They'll nomally have the letter M in it meaning moblie. example: i7 820QM & i7 920XM

Hope this clears some things up. :)
  6. +1^
    In this thread you asked about QM and XM which are both laptop CPUs and use the same socket.
  7. ah yes, my mistake!
  8. phylum_sinter said:
    ah yes, my mistake!

no problem. :)

well all make mistake. (even the best of us)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Intel i7 Product