X2 250 In a AM2 Motherboard

ChehSun

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
You all are wrong, it even says in the CPU manual for my x2 250
That AM3 is compatible on am2/am2+(Backwards compatible) . so how can the manual say that and it not work? So i think for sure it should work, just need an update
Come to think of it i used the top-hat flash by accident on the ECS Ka3, which may have reverted to normal bios.

Some opinions please
Also Do I have to have a am2 CPU to start the update flashing?
or can it just run on the mobo itself

Upendra09

Distinguished
yeah you need the old one to boot and run the flash

and try it out most of the time it doesn't work unless you have am AM2 mobo that was remanufactured after AM3 came out it won't work, in other words the chances are slim

Upendra09

Distinguished
Your pretty smart. You ask US questions, then you tell US we are wrong. You seem to already know the answers to your own questions. Makes me wonder why your asking us in the first place.....

Don't you have enough sense to look up your mobo's cpu support chart before buying a new cpu? Apparently not Mr. Know it all. AM3 processors ARE backwards compatible on AM2+ boards, unfortunately you don't have a AM2+ motherboard. LOL

You motherboard does NOT support ANY AM3 processors. It may work, it may not. But your not going to be able to return that cpu if you try.

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Support/CPU_Support_Model.aspx?detailid=659&MenuID=69&LanID=9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3

how do we explain this though? is this only for a few AM2 mobos? or can all AM2 mobos get an AM3 BIOS flash

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

That's true for some; not for others.

What's true is that the AM2 mobos generally LACK dual planes electrics tek. Potential for instabilty.

The only way to know is to contact the mobo maker. AMD makes things possible; but they don't make motherboards - if it will or won't is a function of the mobo.

And - if the mobo is so old or was cheaply built - the issue of tdp handling capability is in play.

go to mobo web site and seek a bios update for the purpose - or see a list they MIGHT have re AM3 cpu's.

and ECS is not the best.

= EDIT =

The problem or question must be directed to the mobo manufacturer. There are known cases (asus) where some AM2+ mobos high end, were deliberately excluded from this upgrade path - by not making bios update available.

It is a function of the mother board - and the final decision is a function of the mobo maker.

AMD MADE IT POSSIBLE - they have no control over what mobo makers DO or DID or DID NOT.

Contact ECS and tell them what they already know.

The cpu you purchased is not the problem.

ChehSun

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Why bother ask question?
Cause i follow up on the replies searching throught the net to make sure
Found mix reviews, but on the manual it says it's compatible on Am2 AND Am2+
BUT i guess it is in the control of the mobo
I'll try a bios update when my x2 250 returns from rma

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
That's right. It's the mobo that is the problem.

Have a look at a mobo with a 785 chipset. A new mobo will perform MUCH BETTER than that old one.

Look at brands Gigabyte, MSI, or Asus. And you might need new ram DDR3.

Or you could buy a mobo with socket AM2+ for your DDR2 ram. But I would recommend go all the way to DDR3, and sell your old parts.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

Yeh, sorry = I already edited my unreadable post.

guess you missed it - too quick.

I couldn't understand it either = huh? this guy on glue? I think my keyboard has a serious attitude; cos I know I don't.

:sarcastic:

edit again - omg

since socket AM2+, all mobos have been dual plane mobos. which is largely why a lot of sok AM2 mobos can't cope with the newer cpu's that are more geared for dual plane mobos, and may be unstable on single plane AM2.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Why? I dont understand? All you have to do is check cpu support list for your motherboard, not follow up on the net or read mixed reviews. LOL

And how is it that it's coming back from RMA now? LOL

You make no sense.

ROFL LMAO

wowowowow

I can't stop giggling; this is way too funny.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

well that might work MAYBE

some have been successful with that approach.

but

what you really need is a specific bios update that specifically includes an update re recognized and supported cpu's.

some have done latest bios - and got lucky. It is possible that the mobo maker could allow it to happen this way. And yet, they will NOT SAY that the mobo will support AM3 cpu's - and it is possible that there might be some minor instability that could happen, or might not - and so you get to upgrade, and the mobo maker washes his hands.

that might work, it's not the first time.

but it would be better in a newer board

- either socket AM2+ with DDR2<< check w manufacturer b4 buying. :hello:

- or socket AM3 with DDR3 - which could also require a bios update, since the Athlon II are very new, and the mobo you buy might be from last year/cheaper.

It's easy, and people can really complicate it too. :sarcastic:

Upendra09

Distinguished

That is what me and zipzoomfly were saying, the mobo is absolete you are just restating what we said after making it more complicated

what's so funny?

and what do you mean by "planes" the thickness?

@zipzoomflyhigh

always wanted to ask you this question, do you own the site zipzoomfly.com?

and yeah i don't get it either, how can the CPU be RMAed when it isn't designed to work on AM2 and why did he RMA it when he didn't know if it was the problem? :heink: