Possible PSU Problem

gzus2441

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Hi everyone, I have been having an issue with my home built pc hopefully you guys can provide me some help, thanks in advance!

When I first built my system I put a 750 corsair psu in it. My pc was running fine until a few months and the system would restart. I looked at everything and finally took it to a shop and they swapped the psu to a 450 watt (startech). it has been running fine for about 6 mons until now.

My new problem is that when I turn my system off and turn back on immediatley it will turn on for 2 seconds then off back on then off. If I let my system sit for about 10 mins it boots up fine. It doesnt restart will I am using it but it is concerning for me.

Here are my specs:

case - Cooler Master Cosmos S
hd - WD Cavier 640 GB
hs - xigmatek 120mm Rifle
ram - OCZ platinum 4GB DDr2 1066
vc - Asus 4850
mb - Gigabyte GA x48 DS4
cpu - C2D e8500 wolfdale 3.16
psu - 450 watt startech

Please let me know if you have any ideas or advice to help me figure out what is going on with this PC. Thanks so much!!

A high quality Corsair 750 may have caused problems so it was replaced with a crap quality Startech 450, ouch.
What would be the reason for turning the computer off and back on immediately ?
And if that's what causes the problem, stop doing it .

gzus2441

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

The reason for that was I hit the wrong light switch and it shut off the outlet that my surge was hooked up to and when I turned the pc back on it wouldnt start. Also I watch tv on my pc and when I turn off my pc with my remote it will sometimes turn back on and repeat that cycle. I dont purposely turn the system on and off hah, I just think its a problem that might get worse and worse..... I just bought a 650 corsair but havent put it in yet cause I want to try to make sure the psu is bad before i put in the new corsair in, thanks!

I don't know.
I'm kinda old fashioned, I watch TV on a TV and use my computer for computing.
Sounds now like the issue could be caused by the tuner.
Try using your system, without watching TV on it, and see if there are any problems when doing a normal shutdown.
The Startech is pretty low quality, same guts as a Rosewill, I'd change it out for the Corsair anyway.

Atranox

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Are you sure that the Corsair was an issue? They generally tend to be rock-solid units. Usually with a fully defective PSU, the system will freeze or crash more often than restart. Restarting still definitely is a symptom of PSU issues, but it's generally accompanied by crashing, freezing, and other erratic behavior. Your old issue may have been something as simple as a loose connection or wiring problem.

As for your current issue, obviously it's impossible to determine what's wrong through forums, but the problems that you're having now sounds like a PSU issue.

facepalm12.jpg