Bios and windows see 4 gigs, cpu-z sees 6

paulthepwner

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I just put a new box together. I7 930, Asus p6t, 3x2 gb G Skill DDR3-1600. I've manually set timings to 9-9-9-24 and manually set 1600 mhz. I've tried all 3 sticks in all 3 slots, and updated the bios. I've also re-seated the CPU and checked the socket as I've read that that is sometimes the problem.

No matter what, BIOS reports 4 gb, and windows (7 x64) reports 4 gb. CPU-Z reports 3 sticks of 2 gb, all running at correct timings and speed. Anyone have any idea how I can get these to show up in bios?

paulthepwner

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I did pull the cpu last night and check for bent pins, didn't find any, but I can check again when I get home from work tonight.

I also checked msconfig last night. Max memory isn't checked.

I also ran Memtest 86+ last night and it only showed 4 gb. I guess I'll report back when I get home from work.

paulthepwner

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Update: I pulled the processor again and found a bent pin. I put the pin back into position, powered up, still 4 gb. I pulled the cpu again and found that one of the contacts on the cpu was tarnished looking. I buffed that up and put it back in, still no dice (original bent pin looked straight on the re-pull too). I'm going to pull the cpu again I guess, but I've thorougly checked that all pins and contacts are clean/straight, so i'm not quite sure where to go from here if I don't find anything.

paulthepwner

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I called asus before going to newegg for RMA. Tech guy ran me through a couple bios settings and said it was a known issue send both the board and cpu back to newegg. Sitting now waiting to ship out.

TRENDING THREADS