Sign in with
Your question

Bios and windows see 4 gigs, cpu-z sees 6

Last response: in Memory
April 14, 2010 1:20:53 AM

I just put a new box together. I7 930, Asus p6t, 3x2 gb G Skill DDR3-1600. I've manually set timings to 9-9-9-24 and manually set 1600 mhz. I've tried all 3 sticks in all 3 slots, and updated the bios. I've also re-seated the CPU and checked the socket as I've read that that is sometimes the problem.

No matter what, BIOS reports 4 gb, and windows (7 x64) reports 4 gb. CPU-Z reports 3 sticks of 2 gb, all running at correct timings and speed. Anyone have any idea how I can get these to show up in bios?
April 14, 2010 12:40:58 PM

EXT64 said:
Read the part on i3-i5-i7 'missing memory':

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272698-30-gigabyte-gu...

Can also try typing msconfig in the windows search/run bar, going to advanced options, and checking that 'max memory' is NOT checked.

I did pull the cpu last night and check for bent pins, didn't find any, but I can check again when I get home from work tonight.

I also checked msconfig last night. Max memory isn't checked.

I also ran Memtest 86+ last night and it only showed 4 gb. I guess I'll report back when I get home from work.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 4:36:52 PM

Update: I pulled the processor again and found a bent pin. I put the pin back into position, powered up, still 4 gb. I pulled the cpu again and found that one of the contacts on the cpu was tarnished looking. I buffed that up and put it back in, still no dice (original bent pin looked straight on the re-pull too). I'm going to pull the cpu again I guess, but I've thorougly checked that all pins and contacts are clean/straight, so i'm not quite sure where to go from here if I don't find anything.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 4:57:22 PM

Yeah, I'm really not an expert on it. (Fortunately my i5 worked fine). It is always possible that something got damaged. If after another look you still can't find it, might want to RMA at least the board.
m
l
April 14, 2010 6:25:48 PM

I called asus before going to newegg for RMA. Tech guy ran me through a couple bios settings and said it was a known issue send both the board and cpu back to newegg. Sitting now waiting to ship out.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 6:41:22 PM

Glad tech support from Asus could help you out. I was wracking my brain trying to come up with some other things to try:-) Good luck with the RMA
m
l
April 14, 2010 6:42:29 PM

Thanks. I will update as soon as I get parts :) 
m
l
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2010 12:37:43 PM

Yeah, this is a pretty widespread problem. Glad to see they recognize it is and were efficient with your request. Asus support always was good to me.
m
l
April 19, 2010 10:00:48 PM

New parts came in today, I'm now up and running with 6 gb ram. Thanks for all the help guys.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2010 11:16:04 PM

Glad to hear you got it working. That was pretty fast with the replacement parts.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 1:55:48 AM

Glad you got it up and running! Hope it stays that way:-)
m
l
!