Lucky owners of Hitachi CML174B...

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
... please post your review of this monitor... I am putting my Viewsonic VX900 19" LCD, just to get one of those for gaming... can't stand the ghosting problem!

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
Here is my first impressions of the CML174

First...let me post some important system specs:

P4 2.0 GHZ on Asus P4T-E Motherboard
Windows XP Pro
ATI Radeon 8500 64DDR with 6200 Drivers
Hitachi CML174SX at 1248 x 1024 32Bit Colors via Digital Input
384 MB PC-800 RDRAM

Now...first impressions of my CML174. Tested 3 Games:

RTCW: 1248 x 1024 32 Bit Color...Vsynch enabled through registry tweak. NO Ghosting or Blur. Spectacular color!

Jedi Knight II: 1248 x 1024 32 Bit Color. This is the game that I had so much blurring with the Samsung 191T...No Ghosting or Blur. Smooth, crisp action with spectacular Color!

Need for Speed-Hot Pursuit II: 1248 x 1024 32 Bit Color. Again...very fast action. No Blur or Ghosting. Clean, crisp action...even at 150 MPH...

I Can't believe this monitor. Hitachi Actually did it. As the review says...it is the BEST Multimedia monitor out as yet...PERIOD!

Watched three different types of DVD to see what playback quality would be like:

Toy Story 2: Beautiful detail and color...no ghosting or blur.
The Rookie: Viewed the game scenes...where action is fast...didn't even make the monitor sweat.
Harry Potter: Very dark scenes. Contrast and varying degrees of dark and color pass with flying colors.

I LOVE THIS MONITOR!!!!!!

Bob

Also...I purchased it from MonitorsDirrect.com and they have been incredible. Tech support is always there to answer any questions I have had. The experience of owning this monitor has been totally positive from the get go. No dead pixels.

If there is one drawback (if you can call it that) it is very bright! I have gone from 100% brightness to about 60% and it is still very bright. Remember...you can only control brightness in DVI mode. The display is so fast, that I'm sure running it in Analog mode is no issue. This is just one killer LCD. Well worth the money. By the way...if you go to MonitorsDirect.com and run a comparison of this monitor vs any other one...you'll notice that Hitachi has a 0 Dead Pixel / 5 Sub pixel policy. They have one of the best guarantees in the biz. Most other LCD makers set dead pixel policy at 9...Go Hitachi.

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
One other thing to beware of....Not because of the Hitachi...but you are going to get rid of a Viewsonic 19" to jump to the Hitachi 17". One...the bezel of the Hitachi (on the sides) is very slim and makes the monitor look smaller as it is. It is a true 17"...but the bezels of your Viewsonic are huge...thus making it look even larger. Two...going from a 19" panel to a 17" is a very distinct change. I had a Samsung 191t for about a week before pixels began to blow...returned it ...got the Hitachi a week or so later. There is a difference....Now the good part. The colors and panel of the Hitachi are exquisite...you will never see colors like this. Games look vivid and pop out at you. Black on the Hitachi tends to be a tad silverish...because of the brightness...but if you check a few posts down...another happy Hitachi CML174 owner...Just make sure that you reconcile in your mind that you are going from a 19" with a huge silver bezel to a 17" with a very slender shape. Other than that...you will love the Hitachi

Bob

Kenors

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
I just received my Hitachi last week and so far I think it's great. It took me a little bit of work to get it tuned right to work in games as well as for regular use. I'm happy with everything except one small issue. I have 1 pixel stuck on red. It's towards the bottom of the screen so it isn't to big of a deal. Since I'm still within my 1st 30 days I'm trying to decide if I should return it and go for the "perfect" lcd panel. I'm just afraid I might be asking to much and I should be happy with what I have.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Can u do me a favor? Test the hitachi again on Hot Pursuit 2 (I want that game SO bad, I love the demo!) and make sure u go fast the entire race and choose a terrain w/ the most color contrast (like let's say there were buildings and it was night but there lit windows) and after u done w/ race, do a reply @ 4x fast forward. Tell me if there's ghosting, color fading, or anything like that petaining to insufficient response time, then (I'm curious to see how good it is). Thanks.

Kentucky: 15 million people, 5 last names....

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
I play Hot Pursuit 2 on my CML174 all the time. Believe me...there is no pausing, blurring or anything like that. The graphics are KILLER! Things move great!

I use my CML174 with an ATI Radeon 8500 64DDR. Get the game and enjoy!!!

Bob

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
Kenors...

According to Hitachi...there is a 0 dead pixel and 5 sub pixel policy. By your description...the only possibility you have is to return to to where you purchased and get another one...if the stuck pixel bothers you. One thing you might try that I learned from Dell laptop newsgroups a few years back. I have a Hitachi screen on my Inspiron 8000. When I first received it I had a stuck blue and a stuck red pixel. The Dell tech told me to take an old, clean t shirt...dampen it and rub the pixels gently...try a few times and on my laptop the pixels cleared up and never returned. You may want to try this first...or just get another. I'm sure you agree...this panel is worth it.

Bob